Sign in to follow this  
Xander Wildeisen

What are your thoughts on this car?

I agree with Mark, the fenders look out of scale for the rest of the car. If that's the effect he is looking for well so be it, but I think they should match the size of the rear fenders. Also agree with Restorer, I hope that the cars that he cut up weren't restorable.

• Like 1

Art Center School of Tragic Design, huh. I Googled them for images. All their cars look alike.

I'll stick with the Ag Center School of Tractor Design.

007.thumb.JPG.19fa94f53864176fefb8df18747bea60.JPG

Extensive modifications and capable of delivering a cash crop upon completion.

• Haha 1

He needs to go back to design school........

• Like 1

At first glance there are some features that remind me of the ATLAS Chrome delivery. Tough to sell a project at that point of the build, getting the project to look like the sketch is even tougher. Bob 

Image result for frank curtis atlas chrome special race car

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The artwork is really nice but the transformation to steel/fiberglass or whatever is not very true.  Body work may be excellent.  Reading the description makes me wonder what this actually means. " Except for top, most of the body and fender work is done".  Is most 51% or 75% or 98%???   As well as design school perhaps he/she should brush up on English.

Another dream that morphed into a nightmare.

21 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Art Center School of Tragic Design, huh. I Googled them for images. All their cars look alike.

Just like many architects, barbers, hairdressers and other style professions where the person had/has one style only.  In many smaller towns you can tell which resident frequents which barber shop or beauty parlour.  In our city there was an home grown boy who became an architect.  He did some very excellent looking buildings and if you drive around you can pick every one of his out.

53 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I thought the front fenders were too big...

Totally agree.

I have thought about building something like that but from scratch. this guys work would not come out the way the drawings show the body. look at the lines in the drawings and then the car.

Very cool project. I hope it gets finished some day. I agree with the other comments regarding the size of the front fenders, though. Great idea, but way too big.

Reminds me of those plastic boxer games from the 1960's. I had one called "Block Heads". Two opponents wearing outsized boxing gloves.  Pull the trigger and punch until you hit the right spot and your opponent explodes.

What a waste. It looks like a seaplane without wings. The pontoon fenders look more like balloons.

Related image
  • Like 1

The fully skirted front fenders is a snazzy look on a Delahaye where the fenders are blended into the body, but free standing like these are makes them look massive and clumsy. Also, they quite forward of the grille making them look all that much larger, as well.

14 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Cord already built a phaeton and it is pretty hard to beat. Don't fix what ain't broken.

My first thought too....it's a timeless design, and "improving" it usually ends up in a downward spiral.......besides that, I think this design has already been done on a Cord hot rod, I remember seeing pictures....

Looks like a 10,000 project for 19,000 and that's only because of the value of alot of the cord pieces.  

As said.  It is really hard to redesign a Cord to look better or sleeker.  They pretty much hit the nail on the head with that design.  Kind of like a 40 Ford.  It's hard to do much to them to improve on the design.  Much easier to screw it up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trimacar said:

My first thought too....it's a timeless design, and "improving" it usually ends up in a downward spiral.......besides that, I think this design has already been done on a Cord hot rod, I remember seeing pictures....

The car they started with might have been nothing more than a shell. A lot of sedans have been stripped bare to save phaetons and cabriolets. Here are a few other Cord hot rods.

178553_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

29906170001_3977747766001_Cord-914.jpg

The Skylark is one of 319. If it really is a 1939, as the listing says, then it is a Junior six, and is one of 30 (or possibly one of four hand-built prototypes).

9 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

So he managed to ruin both a Cord and a Hupp before giving up.

Good one 32, good one !