63 Riv trunk prep for new trunk kit install

Turbinator

Gents, I have removed the original trunk lining and gray cardboard from my 63 Riv trunk. I want to know if someone can indicate what level of surface prep of the trunkmetal surface is required so the new trunk kit adhesive will stick. Does the trunk floor and other trunk surfaces need to be cleaned to near bare metal? 

I know the surface has to be clean of loose debris, soil, grease, oil, and gasoline. Does every spec of tar, foam, and glue be removed from the surface of the trunk? So far I've scraped and used a surface grinder with wire cup brush to remove the debris. Additionally, I used Berkible 2+2 gum cutter to clean the surface.

Suggestions regarding the level of surface prep needed to get the best adhesion for the trunk kit is appreciated.

Thank You,

Red Riviera Bob

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Gents, I have removed the original trunk lining and gray cardboard from my 63 Riv trunk. I want to know if someone can indicate what level of surface prep of the trunkmetal surface is required so the new trunk kit adhesive will stick. Does the trunk floor and other trunk surfaces need to be cleaned to near bare metal? 

I know the surface has to be clean of loose debris, soil, grease, oil, and gasoline. Does every spec of tar, foam, and glue be removed from the surface of the trunk? So far I've scraped and used a surface grinder with wire cup brush to remove the debris. Additionally, I used Berkible 2+2 gum cutter to clean the surface.

Suggestions regarding the level of surface prep needed to get the best adhesion for the trunk kit is appreciated.

Thank You,

Red Riviera Bob

Bob,

I only have one experience with a trunk liner of the cloth type that the Rivs have. When I replaced mine the only place I needed to put any adhesive was on the wheel wells. I scraped as much adhesive, grime dirt, etc. as I could off of the wheel wells, cleaned with degreaser and wiped it down with a parts cleaner solution. I sprayed on adhesive and laid those pieces down. The rest of the trunk I scraped and cleaned as much as I could and just put the other pieces in place. They are held in place by the cardboard, the spare and gravity. I did put a very thin rubber sheet down underneath to prevent any possible leaching of contaminants missed by my cleaning. I also think that the rubber helps keep everything in place.

Bill

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
add pictures (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

When installing the boards with vinyl covering I found the clips Hard ro slde over the vinyl. The clips have little barbs that make a tough job tougher. The boards plus the vinyl is too thick for the 50 some year old clips. I cut a way the vinyl and filed the barbs off to make the clips slide on easier.1F1CFE04-312C-4D29-8741-2FA6E7A4DF36.thumb.jpeg.3445079f07e65444f4a4a7834fdee528.jpeg

Bob.......it looks very nice! One trick I meant to share with you and I forgot to is that you can eliminate the ribs on the

trunk floor showing through the material by cutting out a thin piece of plywood the shape of the trunk floor and laying it down first, then put the

trunk material on top of it. This gives you a perfectly flat floor. I did this on my car....notice how perfectly flat the trunk material lays out on my car.....DSCN0099.JPG.39678ba74e9e1ae7dc2850b4b9991c11.JPG

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Bob.......it looks very nice! One trick I meant to share with you and I forgot to is that you can eliminate the ribs on the

trunk floor showing through the material by cutting out a thin piece of plywood the shape of the trunk floor and laying it down first, then put the

trunk material on top of it. This gives you a perfectly flat floor. I did this on my car....notice how perfectly flat the trunk material lays out on my car.....DSCN0099.JPG.39678ba74e9e1ae7dc2850b4b9991c11.JPG

Mr. Seafoam you cracked the code. I did not see the wrinkles on the floor board until the second I saw the floor wrinkles in the picture. I put this in the second time myself. The installer did not see buttons and slots in the boards because they were covered with vinyl. I did not do my homework and did not have the buttons and clips ready for the installer. Long story short, Riviera63 put me on to a set of buttons and clips on eBay. I broke 2 clips and one button. Old material and I did not handle them like they were fine china. I managed enough to repair them to work. The floor material I cut to narrow, but I just did barely make it work to cover the floor. I tried to iron the wrinkles out with a steam iron and scorched a spot I’m hiding. All in all many helped, just like you with a first class model to copy.  Your work is great and I appreciate you helping me out. Red Riviera Bob 

One thing I've considered doing in lieu of missing or damaged clips to hold the cardb oard to the hinge frame is to use some bulldog clips that are about the same size as the clips.  Use the butterfly handles to get the clip in place then pinch the butterfly handle where it's inserted into the clip and remove the butterfly.  You'd have only the small black part of the clip showing. Only a very keen eye would catch it. (You'd only need to do this to the butterfly you can see, the one in the back can be pushed inside where it wouldn't be seen. That way if you'd ever need to remove it, you'd only need to reattach one butterfly.)

• Thanks 1

Ed, I’ve even thought of cutting out the middle of the clip to look like the original. The challenge of making a the part has me occupied. I’ve been looking for facsimile thereof in hopes of modifying the clip so it would work for people. I have found a source for the metal buttons on eBay from seller JurrasicClassic. He only charges $4. And the postage is free, not bad. Thank You for the idea-you know I appreciate your assistance.

Red Riviera Bob

6 minutes ago, telriv said:

Originally the floor had a fairly thick piece of tar paper like material that the carpet layed over & there would be NO bumps showing as I remember.

Tom T.

Yes, your are absolutely correct. When I removed the old lining the tar paper debris went out with everything. The kit I bought had a felt backing I thought was good, but apparently not so. I can put in a piece of plywood or heavy cloth material . Thank You for the observation.

Red Riviera Bob