Flying Wheel Covers - '53 Merc

Guest glennstin

Guest glennstin

I've switched to radial tires on my '53 Merc and those stock (and Very Hard to Find) full wheel covers don't stay in place well. I've rebent the tabs to try to get more  bite but still they move around,  frequently bending my valve stems sideways.  I suspect my original steel wheels are flexing, as probably they were tube type and not even tubeless from factory.  Anyone have an idea how to get more bite?  I've considered rubbing compound on the grip surface, but thought I'd give this AACA Forum a shot.  Sure hate chasin' those things thru the woods of Maine.

1953MercuryLubecRyder1.jpg

1953MercuryWilsonLakeRyder1.jpg

They're bending the valvestems over?  I had a Plymouth long ago that had that problem. It turns out, on that car there were little dimples that were supposed to bump up against both sides of one of the tabs on the hubcap. I had to sharpen up those dimples a little bit, and replace one wheel that did not have the dimples. It must have been off of some other car.

I think the inertia of the hubcaps was causing them to move under braking, until the bent-over valvestem stopped the rotation.

Have a look, maybe your wheels have some little dimples like this that have become rounded off over the years.

I hate to say this because I'll be beat up for it, but the only real solution with your current wheels is to go back to bias ply tires.  An alternative is it move to later wheels that are welded rather than riveted wheels.  That still may not correct your problem.  Your wheels are flexing causing the rotation because of the radials.  It effects some wheels more than others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 61polara said:

I hate to say this because I'll be beat up for it, but the only real solution with your current wheels is to go back to bias ply tires.  An alternative is it move to later wheels that are welded rather than riveted wheels.  That still may not correct your problem.  Your wheels are flexing causing the rotation because of the radials.  It effects some wheels more than others.

I agree !!

Guest glennstin
8 hours ago, JACK M said:

I agree as well.

There has been another discussion recently.

Hi Jack,  Can you link us to that discussion?  Thanks,  Glenn