Had to give my daughter the talk

Frantz

I have a 1979 F250 I have tagged as a farm truck.  So Sunday I had a load of "farm stuff" (aka car stuff and a 1954 outboard motor) I was taking down to my shop with my 4 1/2 year old daughter. The brakes felt weak at on stop/slowing roll and I came to quickly realize I must have lost a line (calipers and cylinders replaced this spring). If it was just me I would have driven back home but the risk was too high with my little one and my wife was working so I decided we'd walk the 2 and a half miles home. She was a trooper! I only had to carry her for short periods and then she was off walking again. Along the way I figured it was time to give her the talk. "Anna, did you know there was a time, not that long ago, when people didn't have cars?" She asked good questions and followed along pretty well for a little one. We talked about riding horses but how most people had to walk everywhere just like we were doing. I told her that's what old cars look so different, they were horse carriages with motors. She really enjoys going to the shows with me so it was fun to try and put things in perspective. Cars have always been modern in my life (born in 1983), but certainly the things one expected to go bad on a used car when I was first driving rarely fail today. She'll likely grow up in an age of self driving vehicles to some extent and old cars may be relegated to special tracks or a new form of moon-shining (ever see "Firebird 2015 AD"?) We replaced the line and just had to wait for mom to get home to bleed the truck. Anna wasn't quite strong enough to push the pedal, but she tried! It turned out to be an enjoyable day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frantz said:

...We talked about riding horses but how most people had to walk everywhere just like we were doing. ...

Here's a good illustration from those days.  Our AACA 

regional newsletter had an article on land transportation 

before the car, so our readers could appreciate how far

we have come.  We always try to provide interesting insights.

In 1802, traveler F. A. Michaux was going from Philadelphia, Pa.

westward to Pittsburgh, Pa.  He got only as far as Shippensburg

by regular lines of stage-coaches.  That part of the trip was 140 miles.

He wrote:

"From Shippensburg to Pittsburgh, the distance is 170 miles;  and

the stages not going farther, you are obliged to perform the rest of

the journey on foot, or to purchase a horse, of which there are always

many for sale;  but the country people are such cheats that they 

always make you pay double the value for them;  and on arriving at

Pittsburgh you are obliged  to dispose of them for half what they cost.

I was inclined, for motives of economy, to travel the rest of the way 

on foot, but from some remarks which were made to me, I thought

it proper to join with an American officer who had traveled with me

in the stage, and was likewise going to Pittsburgh;  we therefore

bought a horse between us, on which we rode thither by turns."

Would today's most robust and athletic traveler consider walking

170 miles on foot?  Mr. Michaux took 9 days to get from Philadelphia

to Pittsburgh, averaging 35 miles a day.  Your daughter might appreciate this.

• Like 1

John, you don't need to even go back that far. I enjoy Turner Classic TV and watching shows from the '30s and '40s and the sidewalks are packed with people walking.

• Like 1

According to our article, stage coaches could average

6 to 8 m.p.h. when there were good roads, but there were

not always good roads.  Waterways have always been

important, so cities were established on sizable rivers.

In the early 1800's came the movement for canals--artificial

waterways to extend the possible routes of commerce and travel;

travel by canal boat was at a leisurely 1-1/2 to 2 m.p.h. on

Erie "line" boats, and up to 5 m.p.h. on the fastest canal

"packet" boats.  The mid-1800's saw the development of

railroads.

There have always been alternatives to walking.

But walk for a few miles in a place you normally drive,

and you'll see things you never noticed before!

Interesting to see the way different people or groups see things. Some see the first post as being about cars. I see it as being about an unexpected yet enjoyable and valuable time spent with one's daughter. A gift as it were............Just saying.................Bob

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

But walk for a few miles in a place you normally drive,

and you'll see things you never noticed before!

We found an old iron pulley with hook laying next to a tree. Broken and disposed of during use, decayed to little more than scrap metal, yet the nature of the care that went into making it still shows and now it's on my kitchen counter. I travel these same roads by tractor and enjoy the leisurely views, but certainly walking brings you that much closer to the ground.

It was a great time with my daughter and I was quite proud of how little she complained. I guess our next talk will have to be about the internet and tablets.....

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)

Reminds me of the distraught call I got from my Daughter. The brake line went on her car in the parking lot as she was leaving work. I was at home 25 miles away and told her I would be there in half an hour. It was all expressway and she was right off the exit. When I got there the car had a big pool of fluid under the driver;s door and she was pretty agitated, a redhead, too.

I told her to take my truck to her apartment and I would bring her car back when it was fixed.

"Well, how are you going to get home if I take your truck?"

"Drive your car."

"But it doesn't have any brakes!" followed by that special look she has developed when encountering the foolish.

"ah, it's all expressway." was my answer.

And we both took off in different directions.

Isn't it wonderful to have those little moments of bonding. They continue all through life.

Bernie

• Like 1