Is there an Archie Andrews Book?

hursst

Was reading a great article on Kissel in the most recent Hemmings and it mentioned how Archie Andrews (Not that Archie Andrews, Jugheads!) ruined the company; one of many.    It sounds like a great story.  I googled any books on Archie Andrews, but didn't see any, but I didn't spend more than 5 minutes looking, either. 

Does anyone know if a book on Archie or his exploits has been written?  Seems like an obvious choice for a great book, if not.

hursst - one can argue that Kissel was going out of business long before Archie Andrews became involved. Kissel's high end - low production numbers were consistently dropping in the late 20's and the recession then hit. Their line-up was also getting "dated" in the late 20's too. Maybe they would have gone down without the help of Archie Andrews. Like hundreds of other independents, they became an unfortunate casualty in the early 1930's.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_3751[13945].JPG

• Like 1

I would think passing other vehicles would also be a thrill for the person sitting in that seat.

23 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Those seats are actually quite sturdy. As you cab see they slide out and an arm and a back rest can be folded open, There is a "cleat" on the runningboard so you can brace with your feet. A sudden stop would be interesting, to say the least.

All,

Kissel sold their Gold Bug Speedster with dual fold-out seats from 1919 to mid 1923. This was marketed as a serious 4 passenger car. As Restorer32 says, these seats are very sturdy, with two cast iron arms underneath which double as slides.

The only other production care with a sideseat was the Paige Daytonna Roadster with one seat in years 1921 and 1922 or thereabouts I believe. I almost bought one a few years ago from Hyman, but chose to stay with Kissels after all.

Pictured is another 1923 Kissel Gold Bug which is a barn find, which had been sitting in the same spot since 1956. My next restoration.

Beautiful Beast!

Ron Hausmann P.E.

Woodward 2017.JPG2.JPG

1923 Kissel Gold Bug Speedster Nov. 2014.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, ragtop4two said:

That seat is sometimes referred to as the mother in law seat here in Canada, I'm not sure where else it may be called that.

ragtop4two;

These were called "outrigger seats" in period advertising literature.

They rapidly became know as "suicide seats".

Ron Hausmann P.E.