I stumbled into this abandoned project

JACK M

Of coarse the 'what's it worth' question is important.

It looks like there was a bunch spent.

Gauges are totally restored, bumpers and grill rechromed, refabricated running boards.

Wheels and tires look good.

There are no pistons in the engine.

The guy has it scattered all over his warehouse and knows that the headlights got stolen and sold. Otherwise claims its all there. EXCEPT THE TITLE !!

Of coarse I got the "there's only four known to exist" story.

I can buy this but not really sure if I need it.

IM003584.JPG

IM003585.JPG

IM003586.JPG

IM003587.JPG

IM003588.JPG

IM003589.JPG

IM003590.JPG

IM003591.JPG

IM003592.JPG

1931 CM6 convertible coupe. 1,492 built in 1931. Maybe the owner knows of 4 known to exist, but there are surely more than that hidden or unregistered. I just Googled the car and found more than 4. Looks to be a very worthwhile project, depending on what the guy wants, of course. I would not get the car without squaring away the title problem first.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

That's how I left it.

Get the title and call me.

He doesn't think there will be a problem. Well see about that. But tells me he will get right on it.

He can prove that he has had it for twenty years and also knows the guy that had it for the previous twenty.

I need to ask him to gather it all up in one place, its scattered all over his place.

It is actually his dads, the old guy was there but has left it to the son to deal with. He told me that he has the ID plate and will produce it.

Would that be a FEDCO plate? I didn't see any place on the dash where it would have been.

I live by the "Possession is nine tenths" rule. If you can get a better deal from him without the title, I'd go for it. Getting a lien sale title is easier than most people think. I have bought many abandoned/lost title cars and never had a problem getting a title. Especially if you know the guy owned the car for the last 20 years. If he goes to the trouble of obtaining a title, he may figure the car is a little more saleable and then, certainly, worth a little more $$$. 

Of course if he's your good buddy my entire response is moot. :lol:

10 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I live by the "Possession is nine tenths" rule. If you can get a better deal from him without the title, I'd go for it. Getting a lien sale title is easier than most people think. I have bought many abandoned/lost title cars and never had a problem getting a title. Especially if you know the guy owned the car for the last 20 years. If he goes to the trouble of obtaining a title, he may figure the car is a little more saleable and then, certainly, worth a little more $$$. 

Of course if he's your good buddy my entire response is moot. :lol:

Agreed. I live in south Florida and have a couple sources that will get me a title for around $400.00. And with no trouble at all. Just as long as there is no police report of it having been stolen. So I agree that if you can get a better deal without and makes him think you are gong to save him a big headache, then go for it. And there are other ways of getting a title too. Register in a no title state, then take to your DMV and transfer. They will send you a nice new title. 

No, not a good buddy. Just a guy that is selling the car. Nice guy though.

I have been thru the no title deal in the past, the methods Steelbreeze mentions sounds easy in type, but a hassle in reality.

I mat make a no title offer but would rather avoid.

Thanks for the serial number plate john.

I think the CM6 and my 31/32 PA convertible are about the same body ---- I would take very close stock to many of the missing parts ---I have had to make most of the top Irons --Landau irons --side glass frames --windshield frame and more --still looking for rumble lid ---- just saying the parts may be out there --I would sure like to find more ---- the title I don't think that would be to big of a deal breaker --- but the missing parts may be ----I should bring it home to help finish my car ----Allan

Edited by 32plywood (see edit history)

I see this often.

A guy takes the car apart, sends some stuff out like chrome and in this case the gauges.

Then he sent the car out to be restored at a shop that doesn't do anything except ask for money.

This shop actually admitted that he sold the headlights when he needed some cash.

So the owner picks the car up and stashes it away for 20 years or so, in the mean time it gets separated out all over his warehouse.

Now he gives up and wants to retired off of what is left since he spent all that money at the chrome shop and gauge shop and the "restoration" shop.

Looks like the Desoto got a tad bit farther along than this Chrysler.

• 1 year later...

This Chrysler CM-6 is now residing in my garage here in New Zealand, I brought it on Ebay from a Robert Muis in Independence Oregon, not the original owner. It took 3 months to leave the US as we were required to obtain a title. I have seen photos of the body tag but never arrived with the car. We found all the pistons,

On 8/21/2017 at 4:50 AM, keiser31 said:

1931 CM6 convertible coupe. 1,492 built in 1931. Maybe the owner knows of 4 known to exist, but there are surely more than that hidden or unregistered. I just Googled the car and found more than 4. Looks to be a very worthwhile project, depending on what the guy wants, of course. I would not get the car without squaring away the title problem first.

no Landau Irons, now they may be a problem to locate and there are other parts I need to acquire, horn button and shaft, head lights and sump cover. I would like to know the cars history, adds to the story of the car. Jack may still have the owners name, phone or email, can you help. Nelson

CM6.jpg

• Like 1

I saw the Ebay ad and learned that it went to independence.

A small town not to far from me.

I never saw any tags but was promised that they were available.

The original seller was going to contact me when he found them and help with a title but I never heard back.

I probably should have bought it as it was instead of being so nervous about the paper work.

I was also concerned that it was so scattered around his building which was a working warehouse of some sort and lots of people around.

As for the original owner, the guy that had it for sale was a nephew or the likes that inherited it and didn't know much about it.

He had big plans to restore it but it had been parked for quite some time. Decades if I recall.

He told me the story about the relative having it at a restoration shop not making any progress and in fact they sold the headlights. At minimum that shop was honest about stealing the headlights.

I saw it in a building in an industrial area about 15 miles from where I live. I don't know if I could remember just which complex it was in but next time I get up that way I will look to see if I can find something familiar to spark my memory and maybe get the name of the business for you. I think the guy that showed it to me was named John, but that may not be right. I was only there once and he was to contact me when he found the ID tag.

Keep us posted on this project.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this looks like the car that is in Tualitun/Sherwood. Pacific Sports Turff Building.  The owner sent it to a Car Restorer. The Restorer had it for several years and sold off the high dollar Head Lights, Tail Lights and several other parts.  I had offered to travel to his shop and put the car to gather if He would join the AACA Club. He said he would call me when he was ready to put it to gather or sell. I have never got a answer. It is the same car I has New/Rebuilt Engine to rear end, brake system.

Frank

That's the one Frank.

Its not in Sherwood any more.

The guy was supposed to call me back as well.

Whom ever bought it did so to flip. It ended up on Ebay and sold.

I probably shouldn't have been so adamite about making him supply a title.

As for the engine, it looked like it had been machined, but there were no innards in it when I was there.

The person you refer to that had sent it out had passed and I was dealing with a nephew or grand son if I remember correctly.

Maybe Nelson can get some info on 'Pacific Sports Turf', I don't exactly remember just where this complex is, just the general area.

However I wouldn't expect much cooperation from them as its gone now and that's what they wanted.

Ok Jack  the Old Guy that Owned the car and passed on. He owns the building and has a business with office buildings closer to the road.  Like you say the Grand Son got what he wanted, car gone. If you go down tualiton Sherwood hwy to where Corrugated box is turn right go over the R&R tracks, 4 Way stop. left is Cypole Road, you want to go right, two drive ways on left is the place. It is sad that the old man never got his dream. I am so happy he did not take me up on the put it to gather and get it on the road deal. Ridgefield WA to there would be quite a haul every week end.

That sounds about right frankngin.

I live Just outside of Newberg so its just up the road.

I do remember driving through the office buildings and such to get back to the warehouse.

I am not sure if I would have been the right guy for the car, I am glad it made it into good hands albeit a long journey.

And shame on those guys that took advantage of the old guy.

That whole area out there has grown so much that I don't recognize it any more.

All of our old partying roads are now main drags.

When I was a kid the Tualatin Sherwood road was gravel, Kind of a cross country shortcut that few knew of between 99E and 99W. However it didn't end up on 99W but rather in downtown Sherwood.

I-5 wasn't there yet either.

An acquaintance still has the old horse drawn grader that the locals went in on way back when to maintain that Tualatin Sherwood stretch. There are still a few of the old homes hidden in the woods along there. Although they are turning into industrial complexes faster than I care to think about.

Its about a 6 or 8 mile stretch of traffic jam now. I rarely go that way anymore.

• 1 year later...

Chrysler2.jpg.a19f8bcd21279147b184bc1b4dd2c65c.jpgChrysler1.jpg.dbe69eabf7fa69859c82ce764a30215a.jpgChyslerTag.jpg.f8b35b52a040d839739911bd433c677c.jpg

Well here is an update of the previous discussed CM-6 I brought out of Independence, USA. You might notice a few changes, pedals are now located on to the RHS of the motor as we here in New Zealand drive on that side of the road, (yet to find a RHS steering gear to suit,) and installed a rebuilt Syncromesh gear box. The motor has Mopar 1934 downdraft manifold with an adjustable main jet Stromberg carburetor to suit. Motor goes well. I will not be selling any of the replaced parts, or shortening the clutch shaft, all so she can be converted back to RHD.

I read a thread from Mr John Baker in May 24 2012 regarding an improved road speed differential, and it reads...

A few years ago, someone in the WPC club had a run of hi speed gears produced I signed up for the project and that is now what is installed in the car. It is still under reconstruction.

I just went and looked at the numbers. It reads 4.9.1 #602873 6-14 33-nd. When I drove the car years ago it was smooth. The gears look ok and the bearings on the pinion shaft roll smooth. End of Thraed.

Does any one know any further information about this.

Regards, Nelson 

Chrysler1.jpg.dbe69eabf7fa69859c82ce764a30215a.jpg

• Like 1