RARE 1951 Bentley - $25000 (Lake City)

• 2 weeks later...

I would say no but not really crazy ... It is an attractive, coach built drophead from a period when almost all the RRs and Bentleys had the "Standard Steel" body. Also, it's the last version of the 6-cylinder engine so it isn't a terribly complicated car and any good mechanic ought to be able to put it back together. Depending on what is missing, some parts might be a bit pricey but they should be more common for this car than for any RR or Bentley before or since. Actually... you might be able to get most of that price for the body alone and it would fit on any RR Silver Dawn or Bentley chassis from about 1946 to 1952. (Except perhaps the post-war Wraith... I'm not sure of that.) I can see someone removing the body and restoring it — then buying a Standard Steel Saloon for the chassis and using the current chassis as spare parts.

EDIT: I just realized there are 2 chassis there. They are durable cars. More often than not, the body was the weak point. I'd guess that between the two, there is enough to put it back together. But... it's not for the "checkbook restoration" crowd unless they have very deep pockets. They aren't overly complicated but they aren't a 1950s Dodge either and are likely to be an unknown quantity to most American mechanics. It would be really special on an R-Type Continental chassis.

(Years ago I picked one up in NY and drove it back to Seekonk, Mass, up Rt. 95. I kept wondering why traffic was so slow that day... until I glanced down at the speedo. I was doing 100 mph and hadn't noticed.)

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

10 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Actually... you might be able to get most of that price for the body alone and it would fit on any RR Silver Dawn or Bentley chassis from about 1946 to 1952. (Except perhaps the post-war Wraith... I'm not sure of that.) I can see someone removing the body and restoring it — then buying a Standard Steel Saloon for the chassis and using the current chassis as spare parts.

Joe,  the post war Silver Wraith is longer than that Bentley.    Good comment on the custom body, that does make it more interesting.  I see this as like most projects.  You could get it for free and the restoration math doesn't work.  Still, don't think the price is too out of line.