EXHAUST SYSTEMS FOR1940 SPECIAL

buick special

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what various years or cars or models exhaust systems would fit into a 1940 special?

I have only seen a few listed in the $300 range which is a bit too pricey for my budget

The car is an old survivor so I'm not planning on doing a restoration or make it any type of show car

I plan on fixing it up so it runs and drives and drive it appx 5 milers a day to a local church I volunteer at

anyone have any suggestions on what I should buy or use?

thank you for the reply , sadly muffler shops cost a fortune over here ,

its better for me to put it in myself as long as I know what I should buy

such as length , routing , diameter of pipe and muffler inlet / outlet diameter

are there any cheap places to get muffler parts for these cars?

4 hours ago, buick special said:

NO!

All ready made vendors I know of are expensive.

Ben

Always better to get the right stuff rather than trying to patch something together on the cheap. You wont be able to do it cheaper yourself and still get good results than $300. Ive used CLassic Exhaust in the past and had good luck with them. Not for Buicks but for other GM cars. Ive also had cars with home-made exhaust systems that sounded weird and leaked.

How much is youre time worth if your planning to reinvent the wheel in this case? $300 is a bargain for an exhaust system. Save a little more and buy the right setup and it will go on quickly and easily and you wont have headaches.

14 hours ago, buick special said:

Where is "over here"? 

Unable to offer help/ suggestions when you do not let others know where you are located.

The best used parts dealer for any 1936 to 1941 Buick is Dave Tacheny. He is old school. You have to call him on the phone and mail him a check for payment. You can best reach him between 4 and 7 pm Central. His phone number is 763-427-3460. He is a nice guy, has really good prices and ships quickly.

Thank you for the his contact info as there are a few smaller odds and ends that I need

right now I need to get a few bigger items that I would rather find , make , or buy locally

do you happen to know anyone on long Island?

The reason I ask is I want to try a dynamic test soon to determine overall condition and to see if the car could be used as a fair weather daily driver (5-10 miles max)

I'm not planning a restoration just looking for enough bits and pieces to get the ball rolling

I know I need an exhaust as it was removed and none remains other then a broken piece of it in the trunk

also as mentioned in other posts I need a battery

with those two items I can do a dynamic test once I change the various fluids

I seriously doubt you are going to find a Pre-war Buick supplier in your back yard.  The closest you will probably find is: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/ I have no idea if they sell exhaust parts.

You can either find a local muffler shop to put together an exhaust system, or you can order all of the parts from one of a couple of exhaust system supply houses and install it yourself. The exhaust system is designed to get the carbon monoxide, smoke, and other fumes from entering the passenger compartment. I would suggest you bite the bullet and do it right. 

If you are not an AACA Member, you should join a local AACA Region. The members of your local region would be the best source of advice for any local parts suppliers.