Rav 4

broker-len

Without even knowing the car or seeing it in person, I'll bet $5 that it's a clogged drain either in the cowl or if there's a sunroof, in the A-pillar. Very common on modern cars. My mother's Taurus flooded because leaves clogged the cowl drains and the guy at the auto parts store asked me if I'd ever heard of water leaks on a Grand Cherokee and I told him to check the sunroof drain, which is were the problem lie.

If there's water, it's coming from somewhere. Clogged drains are very common on late-model cars. I don't know how to find them, but I bet if you fish around in the areas that look like they should have drains, you'll find them and can either remove the debris by hand or snake them clear with a piece of flexible wire (which is how I unclogged the sunroof drain on my Audi allroad).

• Like 1

If the Rav4 has air conditioning,  the water could be coming from the air conditioning evaporator drain pan.  Most evaporators have a "catch pan" that routes the evaporator condensate to a drain hose which drains the condensate over board.  Sometimes the drain hose can become clogged, causing the pan to overflow onto the carpet on the passenger side.

Just sumthin' else to check.:D

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Late 1990s and early 2000s Rav 4s have been known to leak due to poor windshield seal and a variety of other issues. There are plenty of posts online about it. Take a look at the Rav 4 forums for suggested ways to check.

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, broker-len said:

RAIN WATER !!!!!!!------ONLY WHEN IT RAINS-----------NOT AIR CONDITIONER       NO SUN ROOF

Well excuse me for trying to be of assistance.  Although you mentioned "rain water", you failed to verify your diagnosis by saying that it leaks "ONLY WHEN IT RAINS".   To answer the question posed in your original post: "Yes Rav4 are known to leak in the rain, and commonly have water on the passenger floor due to A/C drip pan overflow".

Good Luck,

Grog

• Like 1

Sorry capngrog,,,,,,  thanks for trying      it is frustrating    had a quarter of an inch of water      when it rains    the water comes in with a heavy drip      I already checked the AC    and have used it with no water on rug           went to dealer     they have no idea        checked Web     a replaced windshield was mentioned     mine is original               DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS  ?

On an entirely different vehicle, I tested for leak by squirting with a garden hose nozzle. I isolated it to the lower passenger side windshield seal. Hitting that area would make it drip fast inside even though no obviously defect in the seal could be seen.

I worked at Toyota bodyshop for 6 years....

Since you have already eliminated the two most common sources of water leaks (plugged A/C drain and Sunroof drains) I would seriously be looking around the windshield if has been replaced during the life of the vehicle (very likely at this point), I have seen some brutal glass installs before.... glass guys so careless they actually cut open the a-pillars removing the old glass....

Chances are the windshield is going to have to come out to really check though.

My second guess would be water entry around the roof rack if you have one. Some Toyotas have the rack bolted though the roof.... you have to access the bolts by dropping the headliner. I don't recall if Rav4's are this way.