New Owner 1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe

Hi everyone. I just took ownership today of a very nice 1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe. It has mostly been reconditioned by a very loyal Chrysler owner. It remains mostly stock, just maintained as far as I can tell. I drover her home on the hi-way tonight hitting 70 Mph. She floated like a butterfly. What a great cruiser. Everything seems to work as it should even the original AM radio. We still have 1 AM station left around here and they play some great oldies. The owner was 80 and took wonderful care of her. A retired Chrysler dealer mechanic, he knew just what it needed. Included were all the original manuals. The proper owners manual, full shop manual and supplement shop manual. Bias ply whitewalls. She's turning heads everywhere we go.

Tonight my 18 year old son is out with his girlfriend out for a cruise. Her family went nuts over the car. Her grandfather got a little emotional when they turned on the AM radio and the MLB game was on. He grew up in a 1952 Windsor Deluxe, as a his father bought one new in 52.

I'll be a regular here looking for tips and help from other other owners. I look forward to getting to know you all a little bit.

First question: What do you recommend for seat belts? I want to install 4 lap belts soon. Thanks.

Notice the plate? 53W. 53 Windsor. It seemed "meant to be" when we walked in to register our new car and were given the license plates. My son a I hollered and cheered. 

Pretty exciting day. Not sure when I'll get to drive it. I'll have to arm wrestle my boy for a turn. To say he's excited is an understatement. 

vO4vgxNHjloQmAsTjpEPW0NvBIa-0GU0swoOntKJ

Today, we found a loose battery cable anchor. The cable worked itself loose from the post. Car would not start. Got a call from my son. He was at the gas station. Not enough go-go juice. Battery had discharged enough. Quickly googled how to jump start the 6V with a 12V system. I pulled off the loose negative battery cable off the 6V in the Chrysler. Used good jumper cables from other 12V vehicle. 12V Positive to ground on the old Chrysler.  Used hood hinge as ground point. Negative from 12V battery to starter solenoid, while my son cranked her over. All lights and any electrical were turned off.

No problem. Flashed right up. He worked the throttle while I pushed the loose battery cable back on the 6V.  Got it tight as I could and drove it home. 10 mins later in the driveway, the 6V battery was charged up enough to start the engine on it's own already. That tells me the Generator is doing it's job. I will solder on a new battery cable ends, both cables , to be pro-active. The 6V charger will stay on the battery overnight tonight, should be go to go again in the AM.

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have not yet researched nor learned what the parts shown, are for. 

I can tell you that torque drive tranny has electric shift solenoids. 

If you happen to be cruising along in 4th, if you lift your foot off the gas and then floor it quickly again, it'll down shift to 3rd. 

I suspect the wires and board shown are part of this system. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

If you happen to be cruising along in 4th, if you lift your foot off the gas and then floor it quickly again, it'll down shift to 3 rd. 

I suspect the wires and board showm are part of this system. 

C49er will know.

That little box on the air cleaner bracket has both a 20 amp circuit breaker and a 12 ohm resistor which are parts of the wiring for the M-6 4 speed hydraulically operated transmission.

The transmission has both a oil pressure solenoid and a governor mounted to it... oh and a interrupter switch too.

All these items control automatic up-shifts and downshifts.

The 1949-53 Dodge/Desoto and Chrysler resistor relay box and a 1948 chrysler M-5 transmission shown with both the governor to the front and the vertical solenoid to the rear. M-5 transmission is similar to the 49 and later M-6 but wired different.

IMG_3339.JPG

BN C38 Woodie Service and repair of trunk Light Socket Short (9).JPG

22 hours ago, keithb7 said:

If you happen to be cruising along in 4th, if you lift your foot off the gas and then floor it quickly again, it'll down shift to 3 rd. 

I suspect the wires and board showm are part of this system. 

What does the resistor do? We have a 52 Chry that we are parting out. The trans has not been touched. The engine was changed some time ago. It has a D24 sitting in the saddles know. 

20150602_092146.jpg

20150602_092213.jpg

20150602_092300.jpg

Dodge D24 Engine (1).JPG

Dodge D24 Engine (2).JPG