1932 Plymouth in Mass. (not mine)

Peter S

Throwing it open to the folks who know these cars - is this a good or bad deal? That's assuming the ad is truthful and that there is probably a gap of at least 10% between the asking price and what the owner would really take. 

PS

As an owner of a 31 4door sedan. I would consider these facts before jumping into this project. 

Although Plymouth was 3rd in sales in 1931 you would think there would be a lot of parts out there but there just aren't.  Does the engine have to be rebuilt?  interior, chrome, paint , tires, other mechanical items.  I just paid $650 to have my radiator recored. 

(paid $50.00 in 1970 for a recore) 

Depends on how far you want to go.  I realize it's a Deluxe. but unless you really like this car you may have to put a lot more into it than it's worth.  It's still a 4 door sedan.

I know that the value is not in what you put into it but what the enjoyment you get out of it but look before you leap.

On 4/25/2017 at 7:46 AM, Peter S said:

Throwing it open to the folks who know these cars - is this a good or bad deal? That's assuming the ad is truthful and that there is probably a gap of at least 10% between the asking price and what the owner would really take. 

PS

If you really like it and are going to fix it up to use it and not try to make a lot of extra money, I say go for it. I see that as a very good car for that price. The headlamps are the bowl type and look original to me. They match the cowl lamp shape.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thinking about it. I've improved, niot to the point of "restoration," a couple 1940s-50s cars so I'm used to the moneypit aspect of the hobby. I haven't ttried anything this early, which is what interests me in patr. I know tthat the best financial proposition is to buy one already restored, but what's the fun in that?

Peter S.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peter S said:

Thinking about it.

I first started with Mopars of that age in 1971.

That car is a super good car to have at that price.  Sidemounts, wirewheels and rack makes it more desirable to anyone.  A rear spare wood wheel sedan car of similar age and size would be a much tougher sale at that price.

Those Plys are a good/great simple car design.  It would be a fun local driver with not much for cosmetic restoring, unless you feel the need to start the road to financial ruin :) 

A great brand of car to start off your early 30s ownership quest.  Simple, very sturdy, and plenty of other owners to ask questions during fix up

13 minutes ago, Peter S said:

Wondering about driveability, tho.Top cruising speed is maybe 45?

My 32 Ply PB with same engine would complain at 55.  50 was ok, I just don't like to hear an engine revving too much, so I stayed under, perhaps 53.

Brakes are very good because they are hydraulics, decent ride, especially a 4 dr with more weight at the rear.

Mine came with a tired engine, but came with a spare one.  I took the spare one apart and all it really needed was a slight rebore, and a new set of pistons.  I sent the block out for bore, and I did the rest.  Very simple car, and fun to own in my opinion.

It boils down to if your really wanted the early style of car, or just wanted older than 50s.  If you really wanted a 29-32 any-make sedan, you can't beat that deal around here in New England.  They just don't show up without rust and rot.

Title is an issue for a guy from Mass that wanted it, but several States adjacent, like CT, we don't need a title at all on that age.

I might buy it if nobody else does in a week or so.  I don't need it, but it would be a quick Fix n Flip for me.  I won't buy for resale unless I like a car.  I'm an hour away

Edited by F&J (see edit history)