Fold-down rear bumper guard - Buick? What year?

allcars

Have a fold-down rear guard that came with a bunch of '38 Buick chrome pieces that came my way years ago. Can any of your Pre-War parts gurus do a positive ID on it? Is it a Buick accessory, and what year(s) would the application be? Apologies for the reflections that make it hard to see the details, but hopefully the shape and mechanism will tell the story. The face has a single thin vertical black painted stripe going up the center, with a break at one point. I found the patent online...it was issued in June of 1937. It may be NOS. The "$3.90" written in china marker on the inner surface is probably the original price, I'm guessing. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 9.31.49 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 9.31.04 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 9.27.46 PM.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the pix! I have that exact part, but it's missing some of the clamp/latching mechanism and now I see what I have to fabricate. That guard is identical in configuration to the guards that comprise the front grille guard, which is why I wanted to fix mine. Sorry I can't tell you if this is a Buick factory fold down cuz I don't know. Anyone else?

I looked up that patent number and discovered it was submitted by two gentlemen in Chicago in 1937, one of whom founded Midland Tire & Rubber (retreaded tires) as well as a big auto-parts store in Chicago that only closed just recently.  Doesn't appear to be tied to GM, etc.  

• Like 1

I would need to see a side view to be sure but I don't think it is a Buick one. It looks similar to the 1937/1938 Buick Accessory rear fold down center bumper guard, part number 980568.  You can find the Buick part in this accessories book:  http://www.1937and1938buicks.com/1938-Ads/Buick Accessories Facts Book 1938 (Submitted by Brian DePouli).pdf

Thanks, guys. Malo48, the added history on the patent holder is interesting. However, the fold-down guard was made under license, according its markings. It may have been made by another manufacturer who paid for the rights to use the design. MC Hinson, I agree it is not a '37-'38 Buick authorized accessory, per the illustration in the Accessories Fact Book, which shows horizontal detailing not on this piece. It may be an aftermarket piece, but it might also be specific to a car that has that narrow black vertical center stripe also on its bumpers guards...will keep searching.

Going through the 1938 Accessories .pdf, I did learn that a Buick heater I have out in the garage somewhere is apparently a 1938 DeLuxe edition.

I have a similar center rear bumper guard on my 1939 Roadmaster.  It also unlatches and drops down so you can open the trunk.  However, mine has three horizontal hash marks on each side of the base that match the hash marks on the other two bumper guards.

Does anyone need photos?