The camels back is broken

mcdarrunt

On my 37 Special with a 52 263 engine the Stromberg 2bbl carburetor has loaded it's last straw on me so it's on it's way to carburetor heaven and a Rochester 2GC is going to be the new go to unit. Carb is off a 265 Chevy V8 so engine size matches up but they made millions of 2GC's over at least 20 years so parts are everywhere and cheap. I WILL NOT miss the vacuum start switch and will go push button or key start. Originality with me takes a back seat since the car gets driven many miles a year and parts availability if way more important than if it has the correct parts number or color paint. If any non purists are interested I'll make a photo record of the swap.

• Like 1

I like the 263 motors, if mine ever wears out thats what I would do. I am having fun trying to keep mine original but like you its even more important to me to be able to have a reliable and drivable car. Total originality went out the window on mine with the addition of the overdrive. After that I painted it and even if its the same color its not original. I think nobody would argue that the bottom line is to have fun and each person decides whats best for them to achieve that.

• Like 2

Don't throw it away. It could be used on an early 1950's Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith. They'd hook that vacuum switch up to the Lucas electric system. Pack it in a box with crumpled Heath Robinson instructions for safe shipping.

Bernie

More on my quick comment above on not throwing away the Stromberg:

My understanding from your post is that you have a complete 263 engine from 1952 including the 1952 Stromberg carburetor. Other than the starter system (not Stromberg's fault), that carburetor is virtually bulletproof.

Now, I am a big fan of the Rochester 2G series carbs BUT:

Even though you have tried to match displacements, the Chevrolet 265 is a "screamer" engine; whereas the Buick engine is a "torquer" engine. The air/fuel requirement curve is totally different. And the Stromberg was factory calibrated for your Buick engine.

So if you are ready for a change, go for it; but keep the Stromberg as a backup in case the Rochester doesn't pan out the way you think it will.

And a comment about your comment on parts: there is a small demand for Stromberg parts, but they are being made, and made in the USA. As the Rochester has many more units in service, there is sufficient demand for cheap parts to be made on the other side of our planet. Yes, there are parts for the Rochester made in the USA, at roughly the same price as those for the Stromberg.

Jon.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Don't throw it away. It could be used on an early 1950's Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith. They'd hook that vacuum switch up to the Lucas electric system. Pack it in a box with crumpled Heath Robinson instructions for safe shipping.

Bernie

Bernie - nice try, but the Stromberg used by R/R was a different model; which they managed to make significantly less reliable by the proprietary R/R modifications ;)

Jon

I certainly don't know about 37 but I had2 1953 Specials, identical except one had a  Stromberg and one had a Carter.  Both had the wonderful accelerator starter which I thought was fantastic.  In ten years I had the Carter apart about five times and could never get it to run consistently.  The Stromberg just needed the choke coil to have a squirt of lube twice a year.  Others told me the Stromberg was a terrible carb but I found just the opposite to be true.

Thanks Jon for the tip. I have a built in test bed with a 4.11 rear end and a 2.88 final when in overdrive. If the carb works good in straight drive and not so much so in OD then the flow across the venturis must be too slow. Stay tuned.

• Like 1