1933 Chevrolet Free Wheeling unit problem

Dennis Jones

I have a 1933 Chevy Master 5 Window Coupe.  I am having trouble with the "Free Wheeling" unit on the rear of the transmission.  When I pull the dash knob out to bring the car out of free wheeling it won't stay pulled out.  It always slides right back into free wheeling mode.  Can anyone tell me why?  When I got the car a few months ago it would stay out of free wheeling mode when the knob was out until I would manually push it back in.  The only change I have made to the transmission and the free wheeling box is I have changed the gear oil since I've owned it.  When I drained the old gear oil out of the unit there was almost no oil in it.  And what oil did come out was like sludge.

Thanks for any advice,

Dennis

IMG_0069.JPG

Dennis,

I have no idea about your problem but I have edited the title of your discussion to help you better attract the attention of people that might be able to help you. If you put a generic subject in a post, many people simply skip reading the discussion.  

• Like 1

Let's start with basics. What gear oil is specified, and what gear oil did you use?

Frank DuVal,

My manual specifies 600 wt gear oil.  I have drained and refilled it with 600 wt gear oil from The Filling Station.  It sure runs smoother and is much more quiet with this oil in it.

Spinneyhill,

Yes I have checked the cable.  Everything looks ok to me, but to be honest, I have never owned a car with this type of setup.  Well, way back in 1973 I owned a 33 Chevy pickup truck.  But I never got that truck running.  And it was so long ago that I don't remember much about it.  I'm posting a picture of that 33 truck.  I was always sorry I sold it.  I sold it for almost nothing when I went back into the marines in 1976.  And then a picture of my current 33 chevy master.

Bearsfan315,

I'm thinking you have a pretty good idea.  Maybe I will wire it locked out and just not worry about it.

MCHinson,

Thanks so much for the heads up and help with this posting.  I appreciate it.

Dennis Jones

My 33 truck.jpg

My 33 truck2.jpg

New 33.jpg

Great looking car!:)

Sounds like the right lubricant for the application. 

Dennis do you have additional photos? 

very nice car.

My son has owned a 33 for 40 years and has started the resto. He was a teenager and it bought from a jack leg  who installed a 327 and also modified the trunk area. It would assist him in what may be missing.

Thanks, Gene Bryson

• 3 weeks later...

Dennis, as stated above, and dozens of times on the VCCA Forum, LOCK OUT the Free Wheeling unit and keep it from being operational.  This features is super dangerous in the wrong situation and really does nothing much positive when all is perfect.  I've owned my first '33 since 1978 and it has been locked out ever since then with NO COMPLAINTS.......rest assured it will also be locked out once I get the '33 Chevy Phaeton restored and on the road.  Hope this helps.  You have a real nice ride there.....

Jeff.

(FYI....here is a photo of the phaeton in it's current state.......and one of me and the '33 Sedan when I restored it back in 1984)590bdb19140cf_NoahsCameraUploadNov32012521.thumb.JPG.bc5c2cdbc683a6dc39cee1cc0cbc164c.JPG

IMG_1860.thumb.JPG.f8104b06478e481887d6700a2eb9b314.JPG