This is new..

nick8086

It's ultimately about confiscating your older car due to it's not meeting modern emissions and fuel efficiency standards. In California they want you to fail the smog test and then pay you $1,000 to scrap it. And where does the state get the money to pay owners to scrap them? By raising everyone's registration fees. They want older cars off the roads.

• Like 1

The irony is that by the late 70s emission standards were so strict they were practically as clean as today's cars. Not many people know this. They also don't know that cars are 97% pollution free and have been for more than 30 years. Ask your friends what percentage of air pollution has been reduced and when. The answers you get might surprise you.

9 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The irony is that by the late 70s emission standards were so strict they were practically as clean as today's cars. Not many people know this.

Not many people "know" this because it is completely untrue.  You can find the standards by year at this site.

Here are some excerpts:

HC emissions:

1977 - 2.0 grams/mile

2009 - 0.8 gm/mi

CO emissions:

1977 - 20 gm/mi

2009 - 3.4 gm/mi

NOx emissions:

1977 - 3.1 gm/mi

2009 - 0.14 gm/mi

You forgot to tell us what they were putting out in 1962, last year before emissions standards came into effect.

Can you tell us what year cars became 90% pollution free which is more or less what I meant by practically as good as today's? From your chart it appears standards have not changed much since 1984. That means taking cars off the road, that were built after 1984, is not going to do anything. And cars made before that date are so few that the pollution they contribute is negligible.

My point was that taking cars off the road and destroying them is not going to do anything for air pollution.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

My point was that taking cars off the road and destroying them is not going to do anything for air pollution.

I don't disagree with that statement, but I sure didn't get that from your prior post.

Let me break it down for you.

1) Politicians want to pass laws forcing you to scrap your old cars, or pay a tax

2) The public supports this because they believe taking old  cars off the road and scrapping them is good for the environment

3) They are not aware that car engines are 97% pollution free, and have been since 1984

4) If the public knew the truth maybe they would not encourage jackass politicians to pass stupid laws.

Hope this is clear

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1