Saw this nice '55 Nomad today....

keiser31

Guest Skyking
2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Everything one would expect on a nice one in 1965.

That's as bad as putting wide whites on a 1965............improper

Either the correct width or leave them black.

The look of that car is what I would remember from the mid-'60's. Chrome wheels, baldy hub caps, and narrow whites were the look in my area. Painted reversed rims with trim rings and narrow whites were common too. Whites on riveted drop center rims with spiders were still common.

We sold used tires and Firestone recaps. All the caps were narrow whites and we only kept a few odd black walls for the really cheap guys who wanted to save 2 bucks.

Wide whites with tread got painted with black tire paint. The big white walls went to farmers who needed an 8.20X15 for a wagon. California and the national magazines had the Cragars and drag look, but that was west coast stuff and took five years to infiltrate us. Then it was Keystone classics, a lot with whitewalls, and a scattering of Mickey Thompson's or ET mags.

In 1971 I was just on the departure from making a living with car stuff and back at the time shop after the Navy. I was driving a black '58 Chevy wagon with a SBC, Camaro close ratio 3 speed, and 4.11 posi.

There were a pair of Mickey Thompson mags on the front and Chevy 15" centers with reversed Buick outer rims on the rear, bolted and welded, white letters on the front of some brand, maybe MT's. But that was '71. My Dad called the mags truck wheels and black walls were appropriate.

The chrome and whites appear wrong taken out of context 50 years later, but that's the way they looked. I bet the owner of that Nomad was at least in his late 60's and has owned the car around 40 years. And if that's him he probably reached a bit to pay the $800-1200 for the car.

I would have bought more back then but, as with today, space is the issue. In 1971 I rented a one bay garage for $24 per month, a year later I took over both bays for another $24. Shortly after I rented a two story barn down the street for another $35 per month. I was still in that barn for a few years after I built my garage at home in '88. Thing is, it's all like yesterday. Well, except yesterday.

I remember putting a set of red wheels with baby moons on a black '63 Polara I had in 1973 (big block car I rolled end over end). I had the car parked in front of a grocery store coming into town from the north. A friend drove by and had to hunt me down to tell me about the flash back he had from seeing my car, a flash back to the mid '60's. Yep, that's how they looked in this neck of the woods.

If we found a scrape and green paint on the car after going out on Saturday night it meant some farmer drove his John Deere to the bat that night 'cause his license was suspended. We ain't in California and my dog ain't named Toto.

Bernie

I like it and think  a tire & wheel change would be my first modification.  A matter of choice left to the owner.

You know even the narrow whitewalls are hard to get today, glad to see it on the road instead of a museum.

• Like 1