1973 electra, not mine

NC-car-guy

A friend of mine have my info to a guy  about to sell his mother's car.   Family is moving across country to be closer to other family. He's not started the "sale " proccess and said it would be another week or so before he advertised. He sent me this video of the car last running in 2014. He was trying to fix a water leak and broke some water pump bolts, he then pulled the motor and never got back to it.  I'm going to take a look later this week as he is only 10 miles away.

Just spoke with the guy again.  Looks like Thursday night or Friday AM I will go look.  He said he also has a 2nd running 455 with 400 trans.  He's asking $1500 for the whole package.  He said the rims in the photo are not included and are not an indication of any other modifications.  He said they were on the caprice in the background when he bought it, and he put them on his mother's car temporarily.  He said he has the Buick rims but with no tires on them.  Any particular issues on these cars I should look for?  Is anyone interested?   It's not my normal style, but you never know, I might go look and love it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Any particular issues on these cars I should look for? 

Rust is the biggest issue, as typical of '70's GM products.  Look for it at leading edge of hood (I think I can see some there in photo), bottoms of front fenders, rear window corners and trunk floor.  If it's been outside at all, all those areas will be toast and it's really a car to just part out.  I had one I parted almost exactly like it (color and all) except in the 4 door version.  Parted and the carcass sold to to a derby guy.  Typical Ohio car...all rusted out.

• Like 2

Wow.  Went and saw this today.  Light rust bubbles along leading e edge of hood, big hole on passenger side where vinyl top meets the quarter panel, rear floors rusted out, headliner falling down.  Otherwise solid, seats in nice shape, 96k on odometer, no cracks in the dash, power everything..... If anyone's interested.  It comes with two 455s and two transmissions.

wrong.

there are not a lot of these 71-76 Electra's or lesabres out there.

1 rust got them

2 derby guys got them

there are more 71 76 caprices and impalas out there. as the rap vides have helped make them popular

they are so hard to find parts for iv had to have parts from new Mexico shipped.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, Imperial62 said:

Well Matthew this IS in my wheelhouse, and Brad's. I knew Brad would check in.

Make sure mom is not in the trunk.

This is probably going to the U Pull It Yard or such. It's too far gone and there are too many of these 1971 to 76 and beyond Buick Electras still out there. This fellow is typically - dillusional that he might get $1500 for it. Sure it comes with a spare 455, and rims and everything because HE WANTS YOU TO TAKE EVERYTHING and help a brutha out. 

It would take a trailer, likely an engine hoist, a person would have to buy 4 tires of any quality and install them. That alone would cost $50 to $100.  He should at least buy beater tires and install them but at this point he wants YOU the buyer to do ALL the heavy lifting and oh-by-way pay him $1500 for the right.

Nope, it will sit until he calls the "Will Pay Cash for Cars" number on the sign stuck into the area next to streets.

I have owned several 71-73 Electras and I love the 73's.  If I get back into the hobby, for value and fun, it will be a 71-76 or maybe as far as 1979, Buick Electra.