1928 Literature

dracenroc

I'm a newby driving and maintaining a car from the twenties, but used to work on cars from the sixties and seventies.

I thought I got all the literature and books to understand how an almost ninety year old car has to be treated and maintained. 

What I got is the

• 1928 Models Special Features & Detailed Specifications
  • 1927-1928 Shop Manual
  • 1926-1932 Fisher Body Service Manual
  • 1927 & 28 Reference Book

Are there any other more detailed books for this car? What I'm missing for example is the specs for adjustments of the steering spark & throttle gears or simply how to remove the horn button (without braking a thing!). 

dracenroc:

You have all the bases covered as to information. One of the problems with the shop manuals of this time period is that there is a lot of assumptions that the service mechanic knows how to do certain tasks. There is quite a bit of "disassemble steering box, inspect for wear, reverse procedure to reassemble". Disregarding what order things come apart, first, second, third steps etc. Also, rarely does it mention any application of Buick specific special service tools. I am sure that there were service bulletins issued during this period specific as to the procedural analysis for a mechanic, but copies are rare. Better descriptions are sometimes found in period MOTOR magazines. And other publications targeted to the general repair mechanic.

Larry

Thank you Larry! "disassemble, inspect and reverse procedure to reassemble" is actually not the worst idea. The only problem with that is that I'm most of the time not the first one disassembling a specific part or mechanism. If the pre-owner not reassembled the part correctly or fixed it the right way its quite difficult to figure out how it should be or work. Fortunately we got this forum and can get a lot of knowledge!

Werner

• Like 1

Mark is right about the Book of parts. I would not been able to do much of the work on my 1925 Standard without one. Until I can find a 1925 Master Book of parts the Standard Book has many mechanical assemblies that are similar and is helpful.

I am going thru the front brakes and suspension on my Master and have found many mistakes in the assembly of the components.

I have just found  two Master Parts Book, the Chassis and Body Parts, in my "library". But these are editions from 1952. I can't find a lot of useful information there, most descriptions and sketches are for models from 1951 despite the book title is "Model 1928 to 1951 inclusive".

Do older editions have more informations for earlier models? Specially the '28 of course. 

You need to find a parts book for the specific year 1928,depending if it`s a Std 114" wb.model or a Master 120 or 128"wb modelI you have.To  buy a book with edition from 1930-1950s will not help you very much.I have a parts book 1928 to 1938 and there aren`t much about 1928 in that book.Every time you need help on this Buick forum just tell what year and model you have ,that made it much easier to get help.

Leif in Sweden

On 3/14/2017 at 6:56 AM, dibarlaw said:

dracenroc:

You have all the bases covered as to information. One of the problems with the shop manuals of this time period is that there is a lot of assumptions that the service mechanic knows how to do certain tasks. There is quite a bit of "disassemble steering box, inspect for wear, reverse procedure to reassemble". Disregarding what order things come apart, first, second, third steps etc. Also, rarely does it mention any application of Buick specific special service tools. I am sure that there were service bulletins issued during this period specific as to the procedural analysis for a mechanic, but copies are rare. Better descriptions are sometimes found in period MOTOR magazines. And other publications targeted to the general repair mechanic.

Larry

Cadillac are an even worse offender for that, or tell you that you need to use a special cadiallac tool for every single job. E.g. just cut the rivet out and rerivet in place with your cadillac rivet tool

3 hours ago, dracenroc said:

:lol: why not...its a simple way to make things working correctly. Thought Cadillacs runs and lasts forever, no heavy maintenance needed...:) 

my heads off an being machined and my rockers are obliterated so they do still need some maintenance :(

dracenroc - I can provide you with the 300dpi scan copy of 1928 120" & 128" series parts book. It is for Canadian built cars (Mc Laughlin Buick) but dont worry, they are the same. Plenty of parts depicted there (not all though). I see you already have 1927 Shop manual and 1928 Supplement (they cover all Standard & Master series cars), to my knowledge there is no other more detailed book for these cars. Send me an e-mail to pepcak@volny.cz or send a PM. What car do you have?

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)