What is this old car

Jay Wolf

I do not believe that it is a Paige. Simple reason, Paige had a very distinctive hubcap from about 1916 through '25, and these are not them. It could be a Jewett (built by Paige, as they had a smaller hubcap similar to these. They also did use similar wheels for a few years. Some minor details make me think it likely is not a Jewett, however.

I also do not think it is a Chandler. Their open cars at that time almost all had Chandler's distinctive "bow-tie" rear window/light frame on the soft top. Even a few of the fixed top coupes and sedans before 1925 had rear windows in that distinctive shape. While some restorations do not have the correct frame in the back of the top? Most Chandler touring cars of that day would have still had the original frame from the factory (not a plain rectangle). Once you see about two of them, you will always remember it. 

It could be a Jewett, or even a Chandler, but there were several dozen other cars of the early '20s it could have been also. I can think of a couple dozen that I know it is not.  Most of the critical details can't be seen very well in this picture.  A neat car to be sure! If the right person, that knows the right car sees it? They will know.

I am leaning toward Rickenbacker myself.

Consider the Dort or Gray Dort if Canadian.  In 1923 and '24 Dort had a six Cyl Falls engine and a spacial model with those rub strips on the rear of the body and platform over the fuel tank for a trunk.  They also had Budd Michelin disc wheels with six lugs.  Regards, Gary 

Lookin up a 23-24 Dort the belt line is higher it is at the base of the windshield not a few inches lower like this on also the headlights at not barrel like these.  Same with the Jewett belt line too high for this car.

Now the 24 Chandler Royal Dispatch Sport is a good possibility.