How many out there?

Guest junk17

Does anyone have any data on how many Maxwell cars remain in existence? I, for one, have a 1922 Touring and wonder how many are still out there, restored or not. Thanks

Guest j.Illeney

Many of the earlier 2 cylinder Maxwell's  are still touring in HCCA tours - the Detroit built Maxwell's don't have such a following I have a 1914 runabout and have been very lucky but persistent about hunting down the parts needed for it's resurrection , the info on the how to is almost up to you -no real work books like their are for my Ford model A .

I have a 1917 Maxwell. In the Maxwell registry that is privately maintained for quite some time, about 25 we're registered from 1917, out of about 80,000 produced that year. Given that there has been a fair amount of time since the advent of this registry, my "guess" is maybe 20% to a third of all existing Maxwells are in this registry, so, add up the total numbers in the registry and multiply by 3 and 5, and this could be a good approximation. So, for 1917, from 75 to 125. Not many. No doubt many succumbed to steel drives in WWII.

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, mrcvs said:

I have a 1917 Maxwell. In the Maxwell registry that is privately maintained for quite some time, about 25 we're registered from 1917, out of about 80,000 produced that year. Given that there has been a fair amount of time since the advent of this registry, my "guess" is maybe 20% to a third of all existing Maxwells are in this registry, so, add up the total numbers in the registry and multiply by 3 and 5, and this could be a good approximation. So, for 1917, from 75 to 125. Not many. No doubt many succumbed to steel drives in WWII.

Having purchased the contents of at least 11 rear axles over the last 7 years in a search for usable parts for my 1917 model 25 I have only found one undamaged. 10 had either gone through a catastrophic gear failure in the past or were about to at the time of disassembly. It appears that during this time Maxwell was over hardening  the gears thereby creating a ring & pinion that started chipping almost from the start. One rear I disassembled had failed and it appeared someone near the time the car was fairly new purchased all new gears only to have the differential half to fail from an unseen crack from the first failure. The car was junked after this and that's how I found it and at first figured I had hit a home run only to find out after cleaning that the new ring gear which looked perfect was full of hairline cracks. Judging by this it would seem this is what gave the later Maxwell's their bad reputation and my guess would be most were junked long before WWII's scrap drives.

Howard Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

I own a  '15 and a '20, both touring cars.   True, not much out there. You have to get pretty creative, too.   I had a replacement timing gear for the '20 but the center hub was wrong. I got a very skilled machinist to fit my original hub into the center of the new gear.  Many parts that are supposed to fit, often don't.

When you get them running right, they are really nice cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jamester

I got this, don't know the exact year. I do not have a title but could get one. I just picked it up 3 weeks ago. I need the distributor drive that bolts to the block. It was running but the shaft and housing  broke. Been in a barn since 1953. If anyone knows where I can get one I would be very greatful. 

20170804_175035.jpg

• 3 months later...