champion spark plug

truth

i have champion uy6 spark plugs in my 1946 chevy truck 216 6 cyl motor   i settled for them cause nobody at the auto stores knows what resistor plugs are  i have a radio in the truck and it makes terrible interference  ive been looking on web for resistor plugs but i guess im not good at it    cant find any that im  comfortable w      i think the uy6 is a 10 mm thread and 1/4 inch reach 5/8th hex  looks to me like there is no type champion resistor plug     if anyone knows a crossover chart or info to help id apreciate it     is there any merit in putting a graphite wire between the coil and distributor to get desired result?   any other knowledge about this radio interference please post   when i had resistor plugs in it in the 70.s it was fine   thanks

NAPA Auto Parts shows an AC-Delco R43 as fitting your truck, if the model designation "DP" is correct.

They didn't have anything listed under "3100".  I got the series "DP" from the internet.  This showed all half ton

models (chassis, chassis & cab, pick-up, panel, canopy and suburban - 115" wheelbase) as model DP.  I think

the AC R43 is a resistor plug, but am not sure.

An R43 is a 14mm thread.  The "R" is for resistor, the "4" is the mm and the "3" is the heat range in AC plugs.    Any good parts store should be able to give you a 10mm plug with 1/4" reach.  At this time we often have to take what is available not exactly what we would like. Personally I would always use a NKG if I could find one of the proper dimensions.  I think Champion are good plugs but their conversions are very poor regarding heat ranges.

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

If you just want radio suppression try carbon core or suppression wires. You probably have solid metal wire, better check. 

Try just replacing the coil wire with carbon core or suppression wire, that is usually enough to take care of the radio static.

And is that isn't to your satisfaction there are resistors that screw on top of the plugs.  Personally the right plug for the car is more important than the radio.  

• Like 1

Back in the day I recall seeing a resistor that would be fitted into the high tension lead from the coil to distributor. One would cut the coil lead and insert the resistor by screwing it into the center wire.

(o[]o)

P.S. Radio suppression condensers fitted to the generator and coil will also help to reduce radio interference from the generator.

Edited by JWLawrence
Added comment (see edit history)

If you go to Rockauto they list 3 different spark plugs in stock for the 217 engine. They go back to the 30's and are, if nothing else, a great reference  for part numbers for all kinds of things. They generally offer both OEM and aftermarket parts - aftermarket include brand name.

thanks for rock auto  great resource no resistor plugs for the 217 chev and they state that if they dont have it its not out there so im thinking there are no resistor plugs so im heading toward other avenues like carbon core wires and condensors   great comment that right plugs are more important than radio