1953 Roadmaster - cannot get it started anymore

Hans1965

Hi guys,

I have a huge problem. My Riviera is not willing to start anymore. I know - it needs fuel, air and spark. Everything is there - I think. The starter is running, I have spark, the only thing I am not 100% sure is if the carburetor is not clocked. I had checked the little gas filter in the carburetor and cleaned it (a bit of rust). I used a lot starter spray to help at the beginning and give the fuel pump some time to suck in some fuel. But with the starter spray it does not say anything (nor with some gas (50 ml)). I think some time ago I left the key in the middle position. At least I did not take it fully out. The car has a starter knob, not the pedal starter. Changed spark plugs and ignition coil. No change. I really don't want to rebuild the carburetor although I bought a kit from Daytona Parts Co. to do so. I will never get that done successfully. Is there an easy way to check if there is flow of gas?

I know it's probably impossible to give me any kind of advice but maybe you can? If you have something in mind that I could try, please let me know. 

Greetings from Germany!

And it is not too late to wish everybidy here a great 2017, health and happiness and lots of fantastic hours with your cars! Yeahhhh!

Best,

Hans

Did you rule out the fuel pump yet? On my 02 Jeep Liberty when I was diagnosing a poor cylinder (code told me it was fuel injector, but I actually dropped an intake valve lol), I had to remove the fuel rail and I checked the fuel pump by sticking the rubber fuel hose in a glass vase and hit the starter. Checking your pump similarly is a lot cheaper than tearing apart the carburetor.

• Like 1

Hi Beemon, it is not the fuel line. I disconnected it from the carb and the pump pumps! 

Hi John,  the car is 100%. Even with the starter spray it did not make any attempt to start. That's why I think the carb might be fine. No ignition at all. You mean I might have to change the points? In the last few months it run only in the garage for a few minutes.

Thanks both of you. Appreciate that. 

Leaving the ignition switch on may have damaged the points. I would pull the distributor cap and see if the points are able to open. And i would change the points and condensor at this point regardless if they could

• Like 7

Problem solved! Points looked like new. Exchange brought no change. The condenser I had purchased was the wrong one. So no way to check this. 

We looked again at other things and it turned out that the membrane of the mechanical fuel pump was faulty. It carried gas but just not strong enough. I bought and installed an electrical pump with 4-5 psi and after starting it and pressing the starter button for 5 sec it purred like a kitten on idle. Breathtakingly beautiful and huge relief!!! Very rewarding!!!  Will buy a repair kit for the mechanical pump which takes a while - comes from the US! :-) 

Thanks everybody for suggestions, help and support! You are a great crowd here on the forum.

Hans 

PS: using AC R45S spark plugs 

Edited by Hans1965 (see edit history)
  • Like 2