Early rectangular cowl lights?

Tom Burtch

I'd like to identify the applications for these  lamps.  It looks like both are for the same side of the vehicle by the pattern of the glass placement.  The rectangular bodies are about 3.25" high (including the "chimney"), 2 .75" wide and 2.00" deep.  Overall height from the base of the bracket to top of chimney is 6.25"  The clear glass is nicely bevel cut and is about 2.25" square on the side panel and 2.25 x 1.75 on the front panel.

There are no manufacturer markings, but a hand written tape label on one reads "A. Keltner parking lite".  I expect that this refers to an owner's name rather than a vehicle, but not sure.  The bottom of one body has number 102083 written by hand using a marking pen.

They are well made and I would guess they date from mid teens based on the electric bulb sockets and the decorative chimney on top.  Does anyone recognize these?

Tom

DSC03809.JPG

DSC03805.JPG

DSC03802.JPG

DSC03800.JPG

DSC03797.JPG

Looking at the lamps, although very similar, probably aren't for a Model A Town Car. Reason being the mounting bracket on the Model A light is parallel to its mounting on the A. While for the lights in question, the mounts(Pic #2) are angled meaning they would probably mount to a cowl for that reason.  Also, the lights in question have a roughly oval mounting while those on the A's appear to be circular and their mounting holes are 180 through the vertical while the A's mounting holes are 180 through the horizontal.  .

I'd also discount porch lights, these lights are small, unless they are for Hobbits!:D

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...