The Iron Hill INN

nick8086

I've never stayed there, much less had a family vacation there.  What is your interest in the place: family memories, or did you just find a cool old post card?

Was that a vacation spot, or just a nice place to spend the night?  Judging by the vintage of the cars shown, your post card photo appears to have been taken some time in  the 1970s.  A quick bit of detective work on Google Earth revealed that the old "Iron Hill Inn" is now the "America's Best Value Inn" and can be reached at (302)368-6454, if you'd like to make reservations.  Judging from the Google Earth photo, the above-advertised "Swimming Pool" has been filled in, no doubt due to one of America's most rampant diseases: "TML" (Too Many Lawyers).

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Yeah, that restaurant does have the old HoJo look to it.  When did the bulk of the Howard Johnson's Restaurants close?  My fuzzy recollection is that they closed some time in the early 1970s.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Which car would you pick, if you could have any one in the lot? I'd go for the 67/68 Camaro or the 66/67 Charger. There ARE two Gremlins and a Pinto though....hmmm.:rolleyes:

From Google Street view, it looks like it was a Quality Inn as of 2008,  and was the Rodeway Inn by 2014.   It is still operating as the Rodeway Inn, according to Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34043-d83831-Reviews-Rodeway_Inn_Newark_Wilmington-Newark_Delaware.html

The reviews suggest it won't be operating for long, though. 

2008:

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 3.19.04 PM.png

2014:

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 3.18.46 PM.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

really drawing a blank on this one. and i worked in newark for many years. the only reason people stay at motels in newark is to go to a university of delaware football game. go fightin blue hens! reason it's called iron hill is because the soil there has such a high iron content. if you drove down main street, you couldn't get any AM radio, hence the name "radio free newark". but boy, did that iron make for some awesome lightning storms!

Edited by cheezestaak2000 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, capngrog said:

Yeah, that restaurant does have the old HoJo look to it.  When did the bulk of the Howard Johnson's Restaurants close?  My fuzzy recollection is that they closed some time in the early 1970s.

Cheers,

Grog

We still stay at one in Harrisburg when we go to Hershey, which looks like it has the same carpet from the 70's I know it has been the same since I have been staying there for the past 25 years. Yes it is dump, but it is not me but the guy I have been going with all these years. I think I might have convinced him to go to another hotel.

Those were the days. when the real classy hotel was a Holiday Inn! 

4 hours ago, nick8086 said:

If any one has a family picture at this place .. I can send you the post card..

Very thoughtful of you Nick, just hard to envision anywhere that is an intersection of I-95 and anywhere as a vacation spot unless your car broke down on the vacation and you were stuck there, hey you never know