Buick limosine pictures

Barney Eaton

Has anyone ever looked at these Buick limo pictures?   (there are some random other makes shown)  does anyone here own a non-factory Buick limo.....were there any Buicks at Allentown in the commercial/race car class?

https://www.google.com/search?q=buick+limousine&biw=1920&bih=934&tbm=isch&imgil=BM6_lcQ15SCbTM%3A%3BAnY0al9GXUQ1HM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gminsidenews.com%252Fforums%252Ff28%252Fbuick-lacrosse-limo-78443%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=BM6_lcQ15SCbTM%3A%2CAnY0al9GXUQ1HM%2C_&usg=__ZsEvRBAVQfFXiSOUFkmtBocs500%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjBpoKG9pnRAhXE6IMKHSQIDikQyjcIQA&ei=I0dlWIGJK8TRjwSkkLjIAg#imgrc=_eyxXZAM_FUh6M%3A

Image result for toronado limousineD

Does anyone remember these Toronado stretch that were used at the old Love field in Dallas....before the new airport was opened (in the '70's)

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When the Olds national meet was in Dallas, the most recent one, there was an unrestored Toronado limo there.  Seems like there were a good number of them built?  Some transported basket ball teams in South America?

The fwd Toronado provided a neat platform for that type of vehicle.  PLUS a big enough engine to pull it all decently well.

I believe Mr. Logan had one of his "professional" Buicks at the meet?  In either the AACA photos or in some threads in here, over the past few years, there have been links to "ambulance" and Limo Buicks.  A google image search might yield some links?

NTX5467

Dave's "Classic Limousine" Page has many limo pictures, including the Toronado picture above AND other Toro limo pictures and limos. 

I suspect the torque tube drive was an issue as other GM brands were made into limos rather than Buicks.  Buicks seemed to be in more ambulances (Flxible) or ambulance-based limos.  I might know where a Roadmaster limo is, used by a funeral home in a smaller TX town for many years.

NTX5467

BUICK__1960_FLXIBLE PREMIER_flx_short.jpg

BUICK__LIMO_untitled 01.png

BUICK__RWD_LIMO_untitled.png

BUICK__ROADMASTER_LIMO_images.jpg

• Like 2

My goodness ... I'm not sure which of those posted are my favorite ... the Buick Roadmaster & the 1970s model 60FlatTop posted are among them, tho.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"I shiver when I see the falling snow" | Merle Haggard | 'If We Make It Through December'

After I posted the '57 picture, I seemed to recall it was a "fabrication" rather than of an actual vehicle.  In '57, the majority of vehicles considered for limos were Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Imperials . . . as they were "the top" of their brands.  Chevrolets were  "airport use" or "not in the USA" (but in other international markets where USA brand reliability was important and "show" was considered negatively).  The Stageway Chryslers of the 1970s were unique due to the base vehicle not being "body on frame". 

In the case of the 57 Roadmaster, there's enough "formality" to look distinguished and enough "style" to look prestigious and "important".  Plus, it just looks neat!  And different from what was "expected" back then, when corporate "brand pecking order" was important.  Let the Cadillacs be for the people who wanted "show", but the Buicks for the people who were "less showey" and more about luxury and value, but possibly "more well-off" at the same time!  The "Banker's Limo"!

The Toronados were interesting and unique as the fwd configuration got past many of the driveshaft issues of rwd limos.  Shaft u-joint angularity and other related drivetrain harmonics, to name a few.  Not sure why they didn't receive a better reception?

NTX5467