Price Reduced! 1950 Ford 2 Door Post Custom Deluxe Club Coupe "Shoebox" (Mid-Restoration)

Reduced to File_000 (25).jpeg$10,999. One of Ford's newly redesign cars after the war, the Custom nameplate was used for the top trim level in Ford's range automobile. The 1950 has a 114-inch wheelbase and 196.8-inch overall length. For 1950 the name was changed to Custom Deluxe. This 50 Ford has beautiful black paint and will show very well when complete. Straight As An Arrow - No Dents! Recently rebuilt 239.4 engine, matching numbers. Recently bolted into the car - no miles on it. Transmission also included. We will do our best to describe this car, but if your interest is serious, we encourage an inspection, at your expense, prior to purchase. I am doing my best to accurately describe this car, but I am going by what third party car restorers are telling me. This exceptional Texas car is always garaged and not smoked in. Very straight body shows no signs of rust or previous damage. The owner's cars are lovingly restored to original condition with quality, authentic parts. Interior is in very nice shape, but not yet installed. Many original parts come with this car, some NOS, and include new custom steering wheel, number matching rebuilt Flathead V-8, Smithy exhaust, new hood emblem, chrome bolt covers, etc. Too many parts to list. There are some duplicate parts as my father replaced some and still has the originals. I will include duplicates in the sale, but they are not part of the purchase price. In other words, extra parts are a bonus because I can't say accurately how many there are.  I still need to photograph the Smithy Exhausts and radiator, but here are the rest of the pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1j_Rb5rf7tyVUhDMGNhYmtqZWc

Sale only due to owner's health. He is a retired Air Force Veteran who had a serious injury that halted his work on this project and Alzheimers prevents him from finishing it. Proceeds to pay for his care and expenses, so we appreciate your business. Note: Fulton (I'm told) Sunvisor, $500, and (I'm told) period fender skirts (not reproductions), $1000 for sale separately, (to car purchaser ONLY at this time), as an option. 

Now for the nitty gritty: Clear Texas title. Selling AS IS, not warranty. Shipping is purchaser's responsibility; car will ship when funds clear. (Car does not run, so shipper will need to wench onto trailer. Shipping from 78631.) If you need to get permission of any sort to buy ­PLEASE GET IT FIRST. Excuses such as: ­I had the money now I don't or, My spouse doesn't like the color, etc. are a waste of both our time. Serious inquires welcome, but we don't have time for those who can not afford to purchase the car upon satisfactory inspection. The vehicle is available for inspection, by appointment, and that is encouraged prior to purchase. Payment is by bank wire, cashiers check or cash for exact sales price. If paid by any form of check, (including cashiers check), check will clear bank before vehicle leaves it's present location. Vehicle is located in and must be picked up in, Harper, Tx. Vehicle is a used one that is 60 plus years old and therefore sold as is and without warranty of any kind. Vehicle is being purchased from the current owner, not a dealer, and the bill of sale will be from that owner. We do guarantee the availability and possession of a title with no liens or encumbrances at time of sale, and that title is a clean and clear 1950 Texas title with no brands. We will help you arrange shipping any way we can, and will help facilitate a truck picking it up etc., but purchaser pays for all shipping charges. Sorry if we sound short or demanding here, we just want to communicate that we take sales seriously, all we really ask is that you do the same! Time is of the essence, and we want you to be happy with your purchase. ­PLEASE ask questions if you have them, We will do our best to answer honestly and quickly. Thank you for looking. Additional photos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1j_Rb5rf7tyVUhDMGNhYmtqZWc

Contact:VictoriaLLinton@gmail.com, (2 L's in the middle-capitol letters not necessary), FMI.

File_000 (24).jpeg

File_000 (25).jpeg

thumb_IMG_4826_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4788_1024.jpg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

If I am correct, the fender skirts shown for $1,000 are not original to the vehicle.

The ones shown are FLARED with NO RIBS, but factory skirts are not flared and have 3 horizontal ribs.

I see the factory, non flared, ribbed versions selling for $100 to $300.

Please verify my observations.

The car, being a 1950, is now 66 years old.

Click to view fender skirt.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford/1950 Ford/index.html

Edited by bobg1951chevy
add pic (see edit history)

I'm finding other "original" skirts without the ridges. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1950-1951-Ford-fender-skirts-vintage-Shoe-Box-Custom-club-coupe-/132024082759?hash=item1ebd3fa147:g:hqAAAOSw4GVYRGsz&vxp=mtr

I will keep looking into it. Also I'm told by people who have businesses restoring these cars that the ones on eBay for up to $300 are not the quality of what I have. I'm not an expert, but I have done my best to research and provide accurate information. Thanks again for the feedback.

19 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

If I am correct, the fender skirts shown for $1,000 are not original to the vehicle.

The ones shown are FLARED with NO RIBS, but factory skirts are not flared and have 3 horizontal ribs.

I see the factory, non flared, ribbed versions selling for $100 to $300.

Please verify my observations.

The car, being a 1950, is now 66 years old.

Click to view fender skirt.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford/1950 Ford/index.html

Bob, what I am finding is that only the Crestliner came with the factory fender skirts you linked to. The other models had skirts available from the dealer, but didn't come with them from the factory. I am told the ones I have are original skirts from the 50's. So the difference is that they are "original", meaning correct for the time and not reproductions, but not from the factory. I will verify with my experts as soon as I can. 

Here is one link that verifies what I'm saying and shows the ones in the price range you stated are actually reproductions: 

http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950-1951-ford-flared-bottom-fender-skirts-spats

Victoria 

13 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Would you like a link to this put in the Petaluma Craiglist?  There is big demand for '50's cars around here, stemming from the American Graffiti movie for one thing. I see other "shoeboxes" listed but they have Chevy 350's!!!! I could post a link to it, or you could, place an ad disclosing it's located in Texas with a link to this thread. Not sure if you'd want to include your real email in it though.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/nby/cto?min_auto_year=1949&max_auto_year=1959

Hi Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I will post an ad directly on there so I don't have to show my real email address. Thanks!

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

Bob, what I am finding is that only the Crestliner came with the factory fender skirts you linked to. The other models had skirts available from the dealer, but didn't come with them from the factory. I am told the ones I have are original skirts from the 50's. So the difference is that they are "original", meaning correct for the time and not reproductions, but not from the factory. I will verify with my experts as soon as I can. 

Here is one link that verifies what I'm saying and shows the ones in the price range you stated are actually reproductions: 

http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950-1951-ford-flared-bottom-fender-skirts-spats

Victoria 

All I  am saying here is this:

If a 1950 Ford was purchased new, and had "factory installed or supplied skirts" from the factory, the 3 rib, no flare skirt would have been the product supplied.

If a guy, back in the day, wanted to ADD skirts to his 1950 Ford, chances are good that the skirt of choice would have been the "flared skirt", as you have pictured in your ad for $1,000. THOSE skirts were produced by a company known as Foxcraft.

The FOXCRAFT skirt would be considered an "aftermarket product", with no formal connection or attachment to Ford or its dealers.

I speak from my own personal experience, for I was there, back in 1950, at Euclid Ford, East 185th St., Euclid, Ohio.

Yep, old as dirt. :-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobg1951chevy said:

All I  am saying here is this:

If a 1950 Ford was purchased new, and had "factory installed or supplied skirts" from the factory, the 3 rib, no flare skirt would have been the product supplied.

If a guy, back in the day, wanted to ADD skirts to his 1950 Ford, chances are good that the skirt of choice would have been the "flared skirt", as you have pictured in your ad for $1,000. THOSE skirts were produced by a company known as Foxcraft.

The FOXCRAFT skirt would be considered an "aftermarket product", with no formal connection or attachment to Ford or its dealers.

I speak from my own personal experience, for I was there, back in 1950, at Euclid Ford, East 185th St., Euclid, Ohio.

Yep, old as dirt. :-)

Thank you very much for the insight Bob. So how would you suggest I word it to say it's not a reproduction, but actual skirts from the time? Also, Do you know if this car came in both standard and manual transmission?

9 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Also, Do you know if this car came in both standard and manual transmission?

VictoriaLynn, generally 'standard' and 'manual' mean the same thing when applied to transmissions - a transmission on which you must manually shift through the gears. Are you asking about standard versus overdrive transmissions? Or manual versus automatic?

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

VictoriaLynn, generally 'standard' and 'manual' mean the same thing when applied to transmissions - a transmission on which you must manually shift through the gears. Are you asking about standard versus overdrive transmissions? Or manual versus automatic?

Ugh! Yes, I meant manual vs automatic. Thanks. 

17 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thank you very much for the insight Bob. So how would you suggest I word it to say it's not a reproduction, but actual skirts from the time? Also, Do you know if this car came in both standard and manual transmission?

Stick, standard, manual, 3 speed, 3 speed overdrive = same style clutch operated transmission.

Ford announced "FORD-O-MATIC auto transmission in 1951.

Give me a bit more info on the skirts you have ..... are they metal or fiberglass ?

Thanks.  PM being sent.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
word addition (see edit history)

3 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Stick, standard, manual, 3 speed, 3 speed overdrive = same style clutch operated transmission.

Ford announced "FORD-O-MATIC auto transmission in 1951.

Give me a bit more info on the skirts you have ..... are they metal or fiberglass ?

Thanks.  PM being sent.

They are medal. I will take pics of the inside tomorrow. Thanks for the info! I am uploading more pics now. Will likely take a few minutes. I also have a pic of the cowl codes, but they are hard to read and I don't know how to decode them. 

10 hours ago, r1lark said:

Sorry, I was dead tired when I posted that and distracted by several things going on right now. Anyway, I am trying to figure out if it's a standard or automatic and if it has overdrive. I have been told it's a standard with overdrive but I don't know how to confirm since the linkage or drive line (I'm not sure what it's called) isn't connected. I have some experts who help me but their time is very limited and right now they have a family emergency, so I'm trying to wrap this project up on my own and there are a few details like that I am unsure of. Thanks for your help. ~V

2 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

They are medal. I will take pics of the inside tomorrow. Thanks for the info! I am uploading more pics now. Will likely take a few minutes. I also have a pic of the cowl codes, but they are hard to read and I don't know how to decode them. 

First, if all the pedals are installed, you should have an automatic transmission car.

BUT ....... the Ford automatic transmission, known as  "FORDOMATIC",  was not introduced until 1951.

I believe your clutch pedal is still around somewhere, yet to be installed.

The pic you sent to me appears to be a standard shift transmission.

After you post the metal fender skirts, I will send a comment on them.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
wording (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

http://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1j_Rb5rf7tyVUhDMGNhYmtqZWc

What dose image 4793-1024 show? Is that clutch linkage? Brake linkage? Throttle? There's a rubber boot covered rod.

Brake linkage to left and brake master cylinder to right

thumb_IMG_4793_1024.jpg

11 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

LOOKS to me like the overdrive cable and "T" handle are in the trunk, photo 4923.

Thanks Bob. I really did think it was an overdrive from the start. I read it somewhere I thought in his documents and there are some parts labeled for an overdrive. I appreciate your help!

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:49 PM, victorialynn2 said:

I uploaded some pics of the back of them. I think they are medal but I'm no expert. Can you tell anything from these pics?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1j_Rb5rf7tyQVEwV3lKNTA5SDA

V.L.,

Well, the easiest way would be to touch a magnet to the skirts, which you have. That'll tell you.

Let's clarify the Ford skirts that were available, back then (1950's) and beyond.

If a guy or gal ordered a new 1950 Ford, with skirts, the 3 rib metal version (1) is what would have been installed on the car.

Foxcraft company came along, an aftermarket company,  made Fender skirts, a BIG business for themselves in the '50's.

The Foxcraft skirt (2) had a nice "flare" to the lower edge of the skirt, like the ones in your pic.

If what you have in the pics are metal, you very likely have aftermarket Foxcraft flared metal skirts, from the '50's, a very popular skirt back in the day, with more visual appeal and "flare",  compared to the factory 3 ribbed skirt, Pardon the "flare" pun.

More current is the fiberglass Foxcraft flared skirt "look alike" (3) , a copy of the aftermarket.

It is a fiberglass construction.

Skirt labeled (1) is the factory original. Some originals are still around, reproductions of those metal 3 rib skirts are also available.

Skirt labeled (2) is the metal Foxcraft flared skirt, the real popular AFTERMARKET choice, for the Ford ..... and other cars, as well.

Skirt labeled (3) is the fiberglass version of the Foxcraft, a copy of the aftermarket.

Look at ebay to see what each may sell for ...... I haven't seen any of the 3 beyond $400.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks for all the great information. It is very possible I was given incorrect information on the value of the sjirts. It's a learning process for me. Are you interested in purchasing the car or truck or are you trying to suggest I lower the price on the skirts?

If your question is directed to me,  I already have 2 "hobby cars" now.

I'm only trying to assist, with info that may help in filling in some blanks.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great information. It is very possible I was given incorrect information on the value of the sjirts. It's a learning process for me. Are you interested in purchasing the car or skirts or are you trying to suggest I lower the price on the skirts?

Thanks Bob!

On December 21, 2016 at 1:57 AM, bobg1951chevy said:

V.L.,

Well, the easiest way would be to touch a magnet to the skirts, which you have. That'll tell you.

Let's clarify the Ford skirts that were available, back then (1950's) and beyond.

If a guy or gal ordered a new 1950 Ford, with skirts, the 3 rib metal version (1) is what would have been installed on the car.

Foxcraft company came along, an aftermarket company,  made Fender skirts, a BIG business for themselves in the '50's.

The Foxcraft skirt (2) had a nice "flare" to the lower edge of the skirt, like the ones in your pic.

If what you have in the pics are metal, you very likely have aftermarket Foxcraft flared metal skirts, from the '50's, a very popular skirt back in the day, with more visual appeal and "flare",  compared to the factory 3 ribbed skirt, Pardon the "flare" pun.

More current is the fiberglass Foxcraft flared skirt "look alike" (3) , a copy of the aftermarket.

It is a fiberglass construction.

Skirt labeled (1) is the factory original. Some originals are still around, reproductions of those metal 3 rib skirts are also available.

Skirt labeled (2) is the metal Foxcraft flared skirt, the real popular AFTERMARKET choice, for the Ford ..... and other cars, as well.

Skirt labeled (3) is the fiberglass version of the Foxcraft, a copy of the aftermarket.

Look at ebay to see what each may sell for ...... I haven't seen any of the 3 beyond $400.

This is great info. I have been unable to find any metal Foxcraft ones that were in good shape that sold. If you found some please let me know. Thank you!

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

This is great info. I have been unable to find any metal Foxcraft ones that were in good shape that sold. If you found some please let me know. Thank you!

V.L.,

I have an early appt. today, will do some "skirt searching"  later this afternoon,  will then send you a P.M.

• Like 1