Never do this in a open car in the winter!!

mikewest

20 hours ago, Layden B said:

1912 Stutz that needed to go somewhere.

1912 a tour snow.jpg

Probably stopped funny with only one chain on the front.

I am happy that they had the foresight that we might be interested to see this far out into the future.

6 minutes ago, Layden B said:

With only 2 wheel rear brakes it probably stopped just normally...not too well!

Judging by the splatter on the front passenger seat, we can guess why there was no chain on the drivers side.

A fellow who was raised on a farm way back when once told me that his father used three chains on the pickup truck: Both back wheels for traction and on one front wheel to be able to steer. I wonder how common that was and if that is the reason for the one front chain on Stutz in the photo.

Great photos!  We forget that when these cars were new this was the environment they had to deal with.  I remember well helping my dad put chains on his car during the winters of north central PA.  The sound the chains made against the fresh snow was quiet an reassuring that you would make it to your destination.  When the snow melted and the pavement became visible the racket and vibrations the chains made was loud and very annoying and really made you want to get them off as soon as possible. I sure do not miss those days!

Terry