1937 Olds 8 Cyl Question

Hudsy Wudsy

Gentlemen, I've admired mid to late thirties Olds 8 cyl cars for a long time. I've recently been eyeballing a nice, but overpriced '37 sedan. Could one of you tell me what the rear end ratio is in a '37 Olds 8 cyl sedan is? Or, could one of you speculate on what the comfortable hiway speed would be. For example, I've looked for Buicks for a while now and have learned that the consensus is that a Buick Special really isn't up to hiway speeds because of it's smaller engine, and, in particular, rear end gears. A Buick Century or Roadmaster will, however, cruise along just fine at modern freeway speeds. How do you feel about the Olds 8 sedan in that regard? Also does this vintage of Olds have an open driveshaft or a closed one?

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2016 at 3:52 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Gentlemen, I've admired mid to late thirties Olds 8 cyl cars for a long time. I've recently been eyeballing a nice, but overpriced '37 sedan. Could one of you tell me what the rear end ratio is in a '37 Olds 8 cyl sedan is? Or, could one of you speculate on what the comfortable hiway speed would be. For example, I've looked for Buicks for a while now and have learned that the consensus is that a Buick Special really isn't up to hiway speeds because of it's smaller engine, and, in particular, rear end gears. A Buick Century or Roadmaster will, however, cruise along just fine at modern freeway speeds. How do you feel about the Olds 8 sedan in that regard? Also does this vintage of Olds have an open driveshaft or a closed one?

The same body shell was used for some Olds & Buick series 40 & 60  (GM B body) [40 = 248ci & 60 = 320ci overhead valve]

The Buick Century (series 60) 320 ci was considered a high performance car in its day.

Buick Roadmaster & Limited (320ci) used a bigger body (GM C body) and longer heavier chassis. And they have slower diff's.

Would expect all mid to late 1930's cars, from all brands, to have about the same cruising speed (~diff ratio). When they new, many drove at 45 mph. The roads were not like today. And being able to accelerate in top/3rd gear from a low speed was considered desirable.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)