RADIO VACUUM PORT-HOSE ROUTING 1954

Marty Roth

This is actually for our '54 Cadillac, which I assume should be comparable to a '54 Buick:

The radio in my 1954 Cadillac Series 62 has vacuum ports for three (3) hoses. 

The person who pulled it apart to replace my wiper posts and cables did not note which hose went to which port. Now there is a leak, and the foot button does not seek the next station.

Please help to identify hose routing, and/or to point me to a schematic. Our group here always seems to have some of the best info and most caring members.

Thank you,

Marty

Not sure about the earlier radios, but many in the 1970s+ had the speaker wiring notations stamped into the top cover of the radio.  Kind of hard to see if you didn't know they were there or to look for them.  Possibly the same with the vacuum ports?  I imagine one would be the vac source port, with maybe the others would be for which way the "search" was going, up the dial or down the dial?  IF that's the case, where's the switching valve to change needle directions?  Just some thoughts.

NTX5467

I don't recall seeing any marks (but they might be there. The radio is back in the dash following installation of wiper pulleys and cables.

We're holding up on installing the reproduction Mark IV under dash A/C unit because I want to get the radio right, and eventually get the vacuum antenna as well.

THe bar, as well as the floor button only advance to higher frequencies (not downward) as I understand, and as it was previously working.

Thanks for your thoughts.

6 hours ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

Marty is asking about his Cadillac

I think JD was aware of that and was just stating that in this case a Buick ain't no Cadilac.

By the way Marty, did that radiator shroud and wiper parts I gave you end up working for you. 

Thanks Mr E.  as usual, you are correct.  Since Marty originally posted that the radios may be the same, I was just trying to point out that they were not similar.

I did search online and I found this file which may help Marty.  It is a segment from the 55 Cadillac Service manual which may help him. But I do not know that for a fact.   55 Cadillac Radio Installation

It is a low quality PDF file but it does mention a vacuum antenna.

BTW, in that terrible quality PDF, step 3 or 5 says to hook up the vacuum as per the instructions with the vacuum antenna.  Naturally the section with those instructions does not load on my PC, for some reason, but what little I saw shows that the vacuum antenna instructions apply to the 54 as well as the 55 Caddy.  So it looks like you'll need a 55 Caddy manual to determine how to hook up those lines.

Thank you John - but is there a full 1955 Manual, or is it a supplement to the 1954 (as seems to be the case with Cadillac)?

If you do a Google search on "1955 Cadillac service manual"  there are several links.  The top one seems to show manuals for sale.  The next two show links to separate 55 and a 54 Caddy service manuals. 

Here is the link to the entire 55 manual: http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Cadillac/1955/Shop Manual Supplement/index.htm

Here is the link to the 54 manual:  http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Cadillac/1954/ServiceManual/index.htm

The 55 manual has a section on the radio and antenna in the index.  The 54 manual does not.  Sorry, but I did not read the manuals in full.

I do see now that the 54 and 55 manual links go to sites apparently submitted by Dave Yaros, who used to be on this Forum. Perhaps he is still active on the AACA portion of this Forum?

• Like 1

OK,

I've learned that the Center port on the radio connects to Engine Vacuum,

The other two ports connect to the Vacuum-operated antenna to raise / lower the antenna.

Thanks all for your comments - this Buick FORUM is home to some of the best-informed, and most helpful folks in the old car hobby !

• Like 2