56 Super Throttle Linkage

Wooly15

Recently I installed new carpeting and in the process of reinstalling the gas pedal, I may have messed up something on my throttle linkage.  I pushed a little to hard on the pedal and the pedal rod popped loose from the lower lever.  The clip that holds that ball joint together fell off and luckily I was able to find it.  I was able to get it all back together, close the clip a little with pliers and reinstall.  It will hold for a little while, but will eventually pop loose again, especially at WOT when starting. Luckily its only happened in the garage and not driving around. When I reconnect, everything, its nice and tight and wont shake loose by hand. Any thoughts at what I've messed up or should replace?  I don't have alot of faith I'll find a replacement clip, but a pedal rod should be easy.  I couldn't get pics because of the tight spot, but below is a google pic.  It's the joint where the pedal rod connects to the lower lever.  Ball joint with a retaining clip.

throttle-linkage.jpg

Edited by Wooly15 (see edit history)

The throttle lever at the top is splined. If you missed by a small amount, disconnect that part and then have someone sit in the car with the gas pedal to the floor. Pull the carb linkage to WOT and then set the throttle lever to hold it open at WOT. Adjust the ball joint on the end of the throttle rod just so the carb opens to WOT with the pedal to the floor and not binding on the carb linkage. Then just adjust the dynaflow linkage by unscrewing the screw and then screwing it in while still holding at WOT until the linkage is at its full throw of movement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, old-tank said:

DSCF1141.JPG

Your 56 may be different than my 55, since there is no clip at ball on the pedal rod.  After a failure on the road and limping with tape and wire at the ball end, I replaced with well lubricated good used and now carry these parts in my travel kit.

Mine is slightly different. The bottom piece is what keeps coming loose. Mine has a clip that holds the ball in the socket. 

If all you changed was the carpet, why would this part separate?  How much of the linkage did you remove to install the carpet?  What did you put under the carpet?  Did you reseat the gas pedal without any added insulation underneath?

If you never removed any other part of the linkage except the accelerator rod, and possibly installed some extra insulation under the gas pedal base, then I'm thinking when you put the pedal to the floor, the linkage may be hitting the side of the hole that the linkage goes through, causing the rod to be pushed out of alignment and stressing the clip.

15 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

If all you changed was the carpet, why would this part separate?  How much of the linkage did you remove to install the carpet?  What did you put under the carpet?  Did you reseat the gas pedal without any added insulation underneath?

If you never removed any other part of the linkage except the accelerator rod, and possibly installed some extra insulation under the gas pedal base, then I'm thinking when you put the pedal to the floor, the linkage may be hitting the side of the hole that the linkage goes through, causing the rod to be pushed out of alignment and stressing the clip.

You have a good point. I added dynamat plus the carpet and insulation that wasn't there before. I need to check to see if it's hitting the edge of the hole when I push the pedal down. Makes sense though. I'll report back.

Ok, finally had to take a picture of a picture to get the pic to upload. Anyway...this is the clip that keeps popping off of my pedal rod linkage. After digging around I think this may be something someone made? There doesn't seem to be mention of it anywhere. I believe my rod's ball joint became worn out and someone put this on as a bandaid. Now this is worn and won't hold either. I checked the rods clearance and there's no binding in the opening because of added padding/carpet.

image.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have a different problem when I press on my Accelerator pedal it collapses to the middle/right   I have to force the pedal the left upright to get full throttle I replaced the Bellows which were torn which improved the matter some what. Any ideas I feel less of something must be bent or maybe I'm missing some supporting strap summer.  1956 roadmaster  

2 hours ago, Spikesss said:

I have a different problem when I press on my Accelerator pedal it collapses to the middle/right   I have to force the pedal the left upright to get full throttle I replaced the Bellows which were torn which improved the matter some what. Any ideas I feel less of something must be bent or maybe I'm missing some supporting strap summer.  1956 roadmaster  

My original pedal did that before I replaced it. The hinge point was completely rusted/rotted and it would just collapse down to the right when you pressed it down. 

11 minutes ago, Spikesss said:

Thanks for response Wooly. I'm trying to visualize where the hinge point is.  is it on the firewall side in the engine compartment where it comes through.  Or is it inside the car we're goes through the firewall

My problem was the pedal itself, right where it hinges. It had deteriorated to the point that the pedal basically collapsed when pressed. It was more obvious when I took it out and looked at the backside.

I just checked my Bellows is again ripped which is part of the problem    My pedal has a rubber insert the hole does not look Elongated but I wonder perhaps if I have the shaft it attaches to it put in in the wrong direction the arm is pointing towards the passenger side should it be pointed  towards the driver side?

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

The picture in post #1 of this thread shows that you are correct that the rod seems to be backwards but the picture in post #6 seems to indicate it's impossible to put that rod in upside-down.

Didn't know there were different sizes in pedals, all the vendors sell a one size fits all.

For what it's worth, your bellows is probably tearing because you have it go through the firewall. It's only supposed to go through the carpet.

Just went out to the car to check for you, and your setup is correct: ball mounts below the plate, throttle rod hooks right with cotter key on the right side.

my linkage confuses me: from the pictures posted first by old tank shows the rod going thru the firewall to the pedal has the ball joint pointing one direction and the end  attaching to the pedal pointing the other direction  (180 degrees)

my rod has both ends pointing the same direction.   also my rod for the pedal takes a cotterpin.   if i remove the rod can i turn it to proper phase/direction?

i am out of commission for a bit. i just had 4 stents placed last  monday so i should wait a bit before i start wrenching

also are those partnumbers the same for 56's as well  55's

I thought I would add some information to either clarify or confuse the issue. The illustration is a little different than the one shown in the first post.

I am having the some of the same problems mentioned. Have replaced the carpet and padding as well as rebuilding the carb. Got things put back together last weekend and don't seem to have full throttle when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor. I see that there is some adjustment of the linkage at the top of the throttle lever. I did also notice that my bellows was mushed up under the carpet. 

Steve

Trottle Linkage1.pdf

15 hours ago, Long Roof said:

I am having the some of the same problems mentioned. Have replaced the carpet and padding as well as rebuilding the carb. Got things put back together last weekend and don't seem to have full throttle when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor. I see that there is some adjustment of the linkage at the top of the throttle lever. I did also notice that my bellows was mushed up under the carpet. 

Get someone in the car to put the pedal to the metal and then dial in the adjuster that is at the carb throttle linkage while the carb throttle arm is pulled to WOT. If you set it loose, then you'll never open the secondaries at full throttle, so it's better to set it a little tighter, that way you don't mash it to the floor to get the secondaries to open up.

• Like 2

Beemon, thanks for the suggestion about resetting the throttle shaft on the splined connection. I reset it at full throttle and it made quite a bit of difference. Was not too hard to do but I would have never thought about an adjustment there on my own.

i have a Roadmaster which would seem to require the linkage for a super(big body) but it seems as if the other linkage would work better i.e.not swing to the right .  Could i have the wrong bracket?  My bracket is shown in earlier post.   The pedal mounting for the rod is all the to the left on the pedal (when viewing the rear of the pedal) which would seem to produce a straight action when i press the pedal.

this one  below would seem to work better   could you shoot me a picture of the bracket where the ball joint attaches?

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 5.11.29 PM.png