What car and what year #3

TexRiv_63

We found some old photos of my wife's great uncle Herman. He was a car guy back to the 1900s so there are some cars in his photos that I would like to identify. Here is another earlier car, possibly another Oakland but not sure. If it helps I think that's Herman in the center in his WW1 uniform, he served in 1918 and 1919.

IMG_0012.jpg

The general appearance suggests Paige of around 1916 but they have hood louvres.  The panel on the hood side covering the area where louvres might be is typical of Overland. This 1918 Model 90 has the same hood side panel and the same square access panel above the running  board, with the rectangular patterns either side - all typical Overland.  .http://www.wokr.org/gallery/O_35.HTM

Another one, a Model 90 Light Four on the 106" wheelbase   -   O_87.jpg I think the mystery car might be a Model 85 Light Six (116" wheelbase) - but I am not totally sure of it.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

10 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The general appearance suggests Paige of around 1916 but they have hood louvres.  The panel on the hood side covering the area where louvres might be is typical of Overland. This 1918 Model 90 has the same hood side panel and the same square access panel above the running  board, with the rectangular patterns either side - all typical Overland.  .http://www.wokr.org/gallery/O_35.HTM

Another one, a Model 90 Light Four on the 106" wheelbase   -   O_87.jpg I think the mystery car might be a Model 85 Light Six (116" wheelbase) - but I am not totally sure of it.

NZ, I think you got it again. The hood and whole car look longer than the 90, I'd love to see a picture of that model 85.

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Where are all those who insist that paint was not as shiny back in the day as "modern" paints? Looks pretty shiny to me.

I've seen a number of period photos of new cars from that period with high gloss paint but I think that as long as the paint was varnish based the gloss didn't last long in actual use.

I found this advertisement of the car and a similar emblem, but the word Overland was replace by Wyllis on the hubcap of the car my brother had. It was a seven passenger touring and was quite large... Note the lack of louvers and the raised rectangle on the hood sides.

willys6.jpg

overland6.png

Edited by oldford (see edit history)

4 hours ago, oldford said:

I found this advertisement of the car and a similar emblem, but the word Overland was replace by Wyllis on the hubcap of the car my brother had. It was a seven passenger touring and was quite large... Note the lack of louvers and the raised rectangle on the hood sides.

willys6.jpg

Both this and the Apperson have proportions that look closer to the picture. If only those guys weren't standing in front of the whole center of the car...