gauge faceplates

Akstraw

Can anyone recommend a supplier who can custom make or re-print gauge faceplates to look like the originals?  Thanks.

Andrew 

You may be able to do it yourself, on your computer. Scan the old face. Blow it up. Correct flaws and color in Paint or Photoshop. Shrink it back down and print it out on vinyl with a sticky back. Paste on the old face and carefully trim to size.

A sign shop may be able to help with the printing if you want something really permanent.

PS the originals were silk screened. Some instrument mechanics have made screens to reprint the faces but usually for the most popular cars .

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

You may be able to do it yourself, on your computer. Scan the old face. Blow it up. Correct flaws and color in Paint or Photoshop.

I have been working on artwork for reproduction name plates (Delco Remy Canada and Dodge Brothers Canada) using the open source programme Inkscape. I put the photo on a base layer underneath and work in another layer over the top with my work at about 30 to 60% opacity so I can see the original underneath. I generally use Bezier curves for the letters and shapes with line widths and infill as required.

Here is the DR Canada artwork nearly ready for reproduction. The red lines are guide lines that will be removed. It looks like the "Catharines" "C" needs work.

g7830.png

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The reason I use Inkscape is it is VECTOR graphics, not pixels. I am working at 1200% magnification with no pixellation. I produce a SVG file for production, which is a vector graphics format. There is no loss of clarity or edge sharpness on magnification. I tried the graphics program route; not very easy when working over a dodgy photo to begin with. The Dodge Brothers name plates were printed on tin plate and very few survive in good condition so I was working from bits of about three or four photos.

• Like 1