Idler arm or what?

Paul Falabella

My 55 Roadmaster used track straight as an arrow, hands on or off the wheel.

Last winter I dropped the oil pan which requires undoing the Idler Arm. After reassembly,the car now pulls slightly to the left requiring a slight right wheel movement to track straight. The idler arm is attached to the firewall with two bolts and no adjustment I can see.

Just a minor but annoying problem.

So what did I mess with to cause this?

Thanks

That Mikey!!!  LOL...  Honestly, I would not be looking to the idler arm.  As you said, two bolts, no adjustment.  And it won't reach the firewall.  If it pulls to the left you need to look at the right side front brake. May be time for an adjustment

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, old-tank said:

The alignment might change if the idler arem was rotated while off.  If uncertain, have the alignment checked.  Tires can also cause pulling especially old radials.

Ahh,That's what I thought, may have spun while dangling. Now I gotta disconnect and turn once. With all the confusion under that car there's one question I have to ask myself, do I feel Lucky?

On September 7, 2016 at 1:49 PM, old-tank said:

Which way are you going to turn?:rolleyes:

I guess the only way would be to disconnect turn once, if she tracks straight,I lucked out. Otherwise disconnect turn twice in the other direction and that should do it. 

...and seein' that this a 322 4bbl., the most powerful nailhead in world in 1955 and can blow your.....ahhh, enough a that!

• Like 2