1924 6 cyl / 1925 Master rear axle parts interchange

I am trying to piece together a rear axle assembly for my 1925-45 using the Buick 1916-1932 Master Parts list for guidance on interchange parts.
according to the parts book, the rear hub, brake drum, driving flange, & axle shafts are the same for years 1923, 1924, 1925 for models of the same wheelbase.
120" wheelbase models 41, 44, 45, 47 used same parts
128" wheelbase models 48, 49, 50, 54, 55 used same parts, presumably heavier.

The rear axle housing I have is a 1924 6 cyl/1925 Master housing that was part of a doodlebug, and was modified long ago by somebody with a welder and a hack saw. The  third member torque tube and shaft have been shortened. Brake drum diameter is 13 1/5", and the hub bearing should be approx 2.160 to fit the axle tube. (I have neither brake drum, hub, or axle shafts from this axle housing)

The rear hub, driving flange, & axle shafts pictured are from a 1923-44. Brake drum is 12", hub bearing approx 1.955 ID
of course the 1923-44 parts don't fit this 1924-1925 axle housing.

I don't find any part numbers on the axle housing or third member housing that identify this as the 120" wheelbase axle or the 128" wheelbase axle, but am hoping the differences would be easily recognizable by someone that has worked on either model.

which wheelbase does this rear axle housing belong to, 120" or 128" ?
or is the parts book misleading on interchangeability ?

I have included snapshots of pages from the parts book for reference.

Kevin
BCA # 47712

rear axle housing.jpg

24-25 axle housing.jpg

23 hub-driving flange.jpg

23 brake drum.jpg

rear axle diagram.jpg

axle shaft.jpg

brake drum-driving flange.jpg

PB_hub-bearing.jpg

Kevin,  Looking at the 1925 Master Parts book,  it shows two different rear axle housings.  One for the  40, 44, 45 and another for 47 to 55 models.  The bolt holes differ between the two housings.    I have a 1924  128" rear axle and it has the centre bolt holes top and bottom.

Scan 4.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

Rod - I have seen a photo of a rear axle housing with center bolt holes. Mine has just the 2 bolt holes at top & bottom, so it must be the 120" wb housing.

Larry - I did see the 1924-45 in Buy/ Sell.  The 3050 mile cross continent drive to reach that car is a slight deterrent.

Kevin

distance from portland or to worcester ma.jpg

A quick weekend road trip.  :) 

Ask Dandy Dave who picked up a parts car in California and he lives in Craryville, Ny.  Almost by you.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Kevin:

I do understand that would have been a stretch. I know anything I had been interested in was on your coast. There was a 1924-45 sold on Seattle Wash.? craigslist last month. TO LATE AGAIN!  Running/driving older restoration ++++ parts galore. Engines, transmissions, wheels, front and rear axles etc.etc..etc. Price was I believe, $8,500 for all. Does anyone know where that car went?. That would be a big help to you folks out there.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin,

Please see my post under "What is it?". I am still trying to identify my axle, to help me find someone who could use it in a restoration.

I hope something here may be helpful to you. Thanks.

- Brad Zigler