Where is the line between passion and obsession?

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop

13 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The way I view it, both are undesirable:

Passion is based on emotion, an unthinking

attraction or lust.  Obsession is a mental debility.

I love cars, but I like to THINK before I buy anything with a price like that.

It's the DISPASSIONATE buyer who does best in the long run.

Hmmm, excellent points John S, I had to stop and think.  We car people often talk of passion and obsession and you are correct that unbridled they are undesirable.  I guess maybe most of us have more controlled versions (MOST that is).  Merriam Webster's dictionary base definition is that passion is "a strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something" and obsession is "someone or something a person thinks about constantly or frequently--especially in a persistent preoccupation."      

So I guess I could be so defined as having passion and/or obsession with old cars but in my case I can seemingly control the emotion and mental disability you describe (as in avoiding buying and hoarding more cars or parts).  But it isn't easy, Todd C

1 hour ago, Grumpy's Auto Shop said:

I still have to wonder what Mr. Turk does for a living

He is listed on LinkedIn as Director of Operations for Times Square Lighting in New York.  His history is over 30 years of purchasing and manufacturing management.  Seems like old cars would indeed be a therapeutic hobby for such a guy, Todd C

A good friend, who started out normal enough, gave me a freshly refurbished 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk and a part XK 150 DHC when I was 16 in 1964. I drove the GH to High school. He moved into a city home for a few years and returned to be a Corvair collector. I think he had 30 at one time. Just before he passed away he showed up at a cruise night with  a 1971 or '72 Thunderbird. Sitting at the table that night he told me "You know, I missed out on a lot of nice cars being so focused on Corvairs." Boy! Was that an understatement!

Maybe it is an obsession if you can look back on what you did with some level of regret. I know I have too many cars, but one more wouldn't hurt. But when that first girlfriend called me incorrigible I thought she had me mixed up with one of the O'Corrigans.

A couple days ago I noticed we had nine cars on the property, all licensed and drivable. Five in the garage and four parked by the house. And we didn't have company visiting.

Times Square lighting brings up another lame passion about the greenies. Seems the power for the New Years lighting was provided by stationary bicycle generators. With the efficiency of the human bodies converting food to energy the carbon footprint of the diesel truck delivered food for the riders was 15 times greater than just plugging into the grid. Passion, obsession, pick your flavor. They meant well.

Bernie