Motor Trend Restoration

Paul Falabella

This past winter I replaced the torn and ratty headliner in my 55 Roadmaster, with a new one from SMS. Color matched perfect but I was a little PO'ed that I couldn't get it drum tight despite many hours trying. I finally gave up,conceding it looks better than before.

Recently I purchased on eBay full years 1955,56,57 Motor Trend magazine. I was surprised to find a road test on a brand new 55 Lincoln with a headliner that looks like I installed it! Also, frequently mentioned in road tests are how badly the car rattles and whether it had good or bad build quality. You can take "they don't make em' like they used to" different ways, but if it's good enough for Motor Trend, It's good enough for me!

Hershey16.jpeg 

100_0777.jpg

• Like 1

Bring it to Texas and park it in the sun for a few hours and it will fit!  Actually the reason it does not fit is because it was sewn wrong.  If a seam is off by even 1/8" it will never work.  Best to have one sewn locally by coping the old headliner (that I will bet fit very well).

3 hours ago, Paul Falabella said:

This past winter I replaced the torn and ratty headliner in my 55 Roadmaster, with a new one from SMS. Color matched perfect but I was a little PO'ed that I couldn't get it drum tight despite many hours trying. 

Hey Paul, do not feel too bad, I got an SMS headliner and I had to order another elsewhere and asked for my money back.  Later a thread appeared here on the site and it seems this is a recurring problem for them.  It is great they are there to serve our need for material but their headliner patterns are not working, Todd C