1929 plymouth model u

Guest murphdan

Guest murphdan

I am having trouble getting my 1929 Plymouth model u started. I have gone through the carb and distributor. Any ideas that might help me. It sparks but won't fire.

Guest murphdan

The car had sat for a long time. Another person tried to get it running, and tried pulling it even, couldn't get it. We got it to backfire one time. We are currently using a gas can with new fuel, as we were not sure the tank was in good enough shape.

Particularly if someone else has put his hands on it , don't assume anything. Go back to square one. Since it backfired , check timing carefully. And how many years (or decades) since it last ran ? I hope you will be driving soon !  - Carl

Guest murphdan

The person who actually owns the car has had it for 30 years, and it has not run. His son is who tried to start it before and pulled it. We have taken the carb apart and made sure it all works. Also have gone through the distributor, it was not connecting correctly. We usually can get any car running in a short time, this one is making us pull our hair out. We will check the coil again, and also the timing. We did question if the coil is wired right, or might be backward.

On pos grd system  + toward points  ,- towards key . You'll get spark with low voltage ,but not enough to fire reliably . My U suffered this, after 5 year sit on engine . Jumped to starter terminal, and fired up fast  . Needed to clean terminals on amp gage and key switch to get 6 volts back .

When  cranking pull spark retard half out till crank increases, then right back in.

You can pull plug on bottom of carb to verify fuel and cleans bowl too . To late to have you pump oil through system manually before starting to pre lube , I guess . Last resort a little starting fluid down the air cleaner , I do mean little , spray .   

Edited by ArticiferTom
punc. (see edit history)

Definitely check the timing, especially if the distributor was removed from the housing.  Backfiring symptom, the manual also says to verify the wires are on the correct plugs.  There may also be an air leak at the intake manifold connections.  Curious it hasn't run in 30 years, but sounds like your getting close.  If you don't have a manual, get one from ebay.  Reproductions are relatively inexpensive, <$20.  I wish I had it when I got my car, life would have been much easier.

You probably have coil correct.  Post marked Timing, wire goes to distributor.  The other post wire is connected to ammeter.  The other side of the ammeter is connected to the negative side of the battery at the starter switch.  This may be located directly on the starter, unless it is Bendix, then this switch is independent.  Note on the coil, the original had 2 posts, later replacements had another marked Gas.  This was for the fancy electric fuel gauge they put on the 30U.

On mine, I never use the spark advance to start, but do set the hand throttle a bit and use the choke.

Good luck and let us know what you found.

frank

Guest murphdan

Just want to say Thank you to all who gave me ideas to check. We got the car to start today. I think I still need to do a little work on the carb, seems like it is not getting enough gas. I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I printed everything off so I can check back if needed. Thank you again.