Pre War Buick Tour.

Dandy Dave

So what is up. Will there be a tour for us pre war guys after Allentown? I understand that the organizers will not be with us? So who will be our leaders??? Leave me in charge and I will pack up and leave Sunday Morning. My Navigator can't read directions to save her..Ahh Botox.. And I sure cannot read them while driving the Chartreuse Lady. So what is up Guys and Gals??? And shoot straight or you'll be in the DeadWood Cemetery afforn you know it. ;) Dandy Dave!  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

P.W.D. After tour Canceled. Man O Man did it rain on the way home Mostly dry in Scranton, So we took a side trip to Steam Town on Sunday. Rode on this little Coal Fired Steamer. Big Boy Class 4-8-8-4 on display. Looks like a lot of the stuff on display could use some paint. It is a government state park so I'm sure there is not a lot of money earmarked for restoration work. Dandy Dave!    

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

• Like 1

Dave: 

So sorry we had to cancel. Making it easy for folks to drop in to the group also made it easier for them to drop out. As I told you the week before the meet we still had over 20 participants but only about 11 cars and only 5 that were pre-war. There had been a large group from the 1936-38 club from Indiana, Illinois and Michigan that had cancelled out on coming to the meet entirely the previous week. By Friday morning John Scheib said that number had dwindled to 8 people and 5 cars. That upset all the reservations at all the museums and restaurant stops. I would have loved to continue.

I am glad we had some time together and that you were able visit Steam Town. WE will tour again.

Larry

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Love those train pictures! I have read about those huge 4-8-8-4 engines, and would love to see one. That area was on my list of places I wanted to see on the trip to the National, but I lost too much time due to the issues with my Electra, so I didn't see near the things I wanted to.

I would like to do the pre war after tour with you folks sometime, and I will bring my '41 Roadmaster. We were all seduced by the ice cold A/C in the Electra, so we decided to travel in it, but it let us down partway there.

Not trying to hijack the thread guys!

Keith

Not a problem Larry. Had a hundred things to do here at home and the rain would have been no fun to tour in the way it came down. Some things just don't work out. Steam town was worth the side trip Keith. I would do it again and take a different train ride next time. The power was out in some of the buildings so we got reduced prices for the Trolly Museum. It was not raining when we were there but it sure rained hard coming across I-84 while headed back to New York State. Dandy Dave!

For what it is worth, I have a couple folks to talk to who may be the right ones to set up a PWD tour for next year. I've gone through the Wisconsin tourism stuff that I got in Allentown and there are a number of nearby sites that I think would be good for a visit. The main thing is to have someone relatively local who could do some of the trip planning for reasonable roads. A spoke tour could work well if we are able to get out of Brookfield relatively easily. I may just have to register the '41 to have a pre-war Buick (ignoring that the war started in 1939). 

I will throw my hat in the ring for the 2017 After Tour.

Brother Shaw and I will poke 'Governor' Rob.  Stay tuned.

Spent every August of my youth in northern Wisconsin and have been to Madison/University of Wisconsin numerous times.

Sorry to hear things did not work out for the 2016 After Tour.

• Like 1