Pinion Seal

My 1949 New Yorker 1st Series (or 1948) is leaking from the rear pinion seal.  Upon removing the seal, it appears that it was previously replaced with a National Oil Seal #470088 which was never seated fully.  Believing that it was just worn, I purchased its replacement and found out why the original was leaking . . . . it not the correct size.

The dimensions of this pinion seal are 1.750 x 3.189 x 0.437.  As I work to try and find its correct replacement, I cannot get the exact measurement of the housing bore.  Can anyone direct me to a source to replace this seal along with the correct seal dimensions.?. 

I have tried Napa, Auto Value, O'Reily, and currently waiting for a reply from Kanter and will try others.

Thanks

John

Which dimension is wrong? The OD or the ID? That seal is listed in Timken's Seal Specification Guide.

#470088 is a double lip seal. There are also single lip seals 1.748" ID, 3.229" OD (0.040" bigger), 0.335"W listed. The next size in 1.750" ID is 3.371" OD.

#5851 does not appear in Timken's Seal Spec. Guide or their Seal Interchange Guide. National is now a Timken brand.

Just make sure the pinion is not moving; that will cause early seal failure.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

The replacement seal that was removed had an OD of 3.189 which was too big, the ID was a 1.750 of which fit nicely.  For the differential I have, the 3.371 or 3.229 is larger then what was removed.  Not sure why this is a smaller OD.

Got the original Chrysler part number for that seal? I find an amazing number of parts of that type can still be cross referenced. There is a reasonable chance that will get you the a cross to a current vendor number.

• 3 weeks later...

Using Chrysler 663602 in http://www.skfpartsinfo.com/

interchange tab, SKF offer 18880, which is a nitrile single lip seal of OD 3.110 for bore 3.105, shaft size 1.875", width 0.5". This can't be it coz shaft is too big?

Chrysler 11271105 gives SKF 18924, a similar seal for bore 3.501, shaft 1.875", width 0.438". Hmmm.

Chrysler 856864 leads to SKF 18924, differential pinion seal or a ball bearing 1607-J. Now I am uncertain and confused.

Marty Mopar, perhaps you can measure what you have?

• Like 1

MoPar 619129 is the original factory part # for a 1946-48 Chrysler 8 cylinder NewYorker and Saratoga cars .

Cannot easily cross it over anymore.

The # 1271105 seal for the BIG 145" WB Chrysler Crown Imperial 8 passenger or Limo car and is also a Dodge 1948-53 1 ton truck rear pinion seal.

It does not fit The NewYorker cars.

Seems to be many of those on Ebay and else where. 

Bob

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Try George Bachleda at Ol Car Bearing 910-693-3324 in Southern Pines, NC  right outside Ft Bragg. - Vintchry  gave me this info on my post about

bearings and seals for my 25 Chrysler rear rend , and axle bearings. George is very knowledgeable , quite helpful and had every seal and bearing I needed including

the pinion seal.  Cricket