Speedster - Kissel Gold Bug

ron hausmann

All,

Haven't ever posted anything on this "Speedster" forum.

Thought that you would like to see pictures of what some believe is one of the most beautiful stock speedsters ever manufactured - the 1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster.

There are three restored examples of these that survive and one unrestored. I own the one restored (pictured) and the unrestored one (also pictured).

These were real pimp cars, owned by movie stars and optioned with whatever they wanted. Most were sold in Hollywood.

We gathered 10 Kissel Gold Bug speedsters of all years a few years ago in Michigan. Pictures on my website.

Enjoy!!

Ron Hausmann P.E.

1923 Kissel Gold Bug at Ruger Pond.jpg

image005.jpg

1923 Kissel Gold Bug @ Eyes On Design Awards 6-17-13.png

photo 2 (9).jpg

10-23-14 15.jpg

1923 Kissel Woodward Cruise 2012 (11).JPG

St. John's Concours 2013 Family (1).jpg

1923 kissel gold bug June 1, 2014 (1).jpg

• Like 3

Sir,

The car was sold as a four-passenger speedster and these were officially called "outrigger seats".

They rapidly became known as "Suicide Seats" and/or "mother-in-law seats".

Note - this car will go 70 miles an hour with its Kissel Custom-Six engine - imagine being on one of those side seats, doing 70 mph, on a typical period gravel road !

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E.

Good morning , Ron.  From the pic of the unrestored car , there is a hint of front brakes. Is this so ? How is that car cleaning up ? From the one pic , the solid , seemingly rather complete car almost appears a good candidate for meticulous preservation. We know how pics can be flattering , but , man , detailing , mechanicals , safety glass windshield ? IMHO , the pendulum might have swung a bit far towards preservation in some cases. Some optimists or revisionists take indecent liberties with "patina" , where in actual fact "severe damage" might be a more accurate representation. I know this car is in the best possible hands with you , and whatever course you embark on will be a great credit to the hobby !  Great work , as always , Ron , and thank you for this and your other interesting and generous postings.  - Carl

Carl,

The unrestored Kissel Gold bug Speedster I have needs restoration as it is too far gone for preservation. Some "idiot" years ago cut the original Kissel frame to spread it to handle a V-8 engine, which they never finished. They also put on an oversized Packard or Cadillac front axle with Buffalo No. 6 wheels in the front to handle that weight. The aluminum body (standard Kissels used Aluminum) was disassembled at some point. It has no Kissel engine in it.

Luckily, since I've sucked up so many Kissel parts cars thru the years, I actually have a correct Kissel 6-45 engine and front Kissel axle, as well as Buffalo No 5 wheels and hubs, all correct for a Classic 1923 Kissel Model 6-45. Nobody else in the world has the correct parts to do this car except for me, so I guess it's destiny. However, it will be several years before I start this restoration.

Below are a couple more pictures. This unrestored Kissel was once the beautiful Gold  Bug Speedster which is on the cover of the Kissel history (pictured). I will restore it to this exact specification.

Thanks, RON

1923 Kissel Gold Bug Speedster Nov. 2014.jpg

photo 5 (10).jpg

wwwaaa.jpg

• Like 2

Very neat and rare car. There is a Marmon speedster with a Holbrook body on it just listed in the for sale page. I know the car, very interesting auto. Thanks for the post. Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Ron:

Thanks for sharing info and pics on your Kissels. It's important to keep spreading the word about these classic speedsters and keeping them alive. I recently discovered a connection between Kissels and Appersons (Kokomo, IN) via Conover Silver, the man responsible for so many innovative speedster designs in the 'teens.

I hope to find out more about that connection when I go up to Kokomo in September for their centennial celebration. Several classic car clubs participating, should be a good time.

BTW, I met you several years ago and enjoyed very much visiting with you and your cars. Good luck on your next restoration!

All the best,

=rdsieber 

Mr. Seiber,

Conover Silver actually was the designer who, with George Kissel and Herman palmer, Kissel Chief Engineer, gave birth to the Kissel Gold bug. For a year, Kissel actually callee these cars as well as their enclosed models, "Kissel Silver Specials" and they had Kissel Silver badges. sadly, none have survived although the Kissel Gold Bug has moved into legend with several wonderful survivors. I'll be driving my Kissel Gold Bug in this year's Woodward dream Cruise! (yes I drive my show cars and they love to be driven hard!).

Thanks, RON