Craigslist Dynaflow

Wooly15

Wanted to get some expert advice on a Craigslist find before making an offer. Guy states this dynaflow is for a '52. What years is this compatible with, it even is a '52. He didn't sound sure in the post? My '56 leaks but works well, it would just be nice to have a spare. I found quite a few posts relating, but they are very dated or the attachment is gone.

thanks,

Adam

Dynaflow transmission $490
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/5678536235.html

Edited by Wooly15 (see edit history)

That certainly looks like the right kind, with the transmission cooler on the side and large diameter dipstick cover, but my Buick parts book gives a different number than what is in that ad. I wouldn't go exclusively by the part number, though, because Buick part numbers change from year to year and parts book to parts book. I suggest measuring the transmission from front to back, or at least the length of the transmission tail, because those are where the biggest differences are.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

While I would never challenge your advice Willie, if you look at the pic facing into the bell housing towards the torque converter, and the pic of the part number with the rust through the paint....I don't think that's aluminum.

Whoa, I'm sorry, I didn't read the original post correctly. I have 1952 Buicks  on the brain because I'm working on one in my garage right now, and it didn't register that you want to put this in a 1956 Buick. Wndsofchng06 is right--a '52 transmission won't fit into a '56. They are very different, not only in the way the transmission fluid is cooled, but also in the transmission case, and I think in the length of the tail shaft as well! Sorry for the earlier error!

Pete