Ethanol in fuel for our older cars

sosuzguy

Personally I'm not interested in getting involved in a crusade to change Federal laws. I don't have time.

However, I would like advice from other members on the best brand of fuel in California to use in my '63 401ci . I have been using Union 76 premium but they can't (won't) tell me how much ethanol is in their blend. Since I live near Laguna Seca race trackI also add about 25% high octane - racing fuel to each tankful at a premium cost of $7-10/ gallon. Further, in Kalifornia where, thanks to unscientific environmentalists laws, we have "special" blends that change with the seasons.

Anyone have any suggestions for brand of fuels in California? 

The connivers at the federal level have their plate full trying to keep ethanol alive. The product is proving itself unworthy of funding.

And the "dependence on foreign oil" is a questionable argument when one looks at the problems US cities are having with rail traffic of EXPORT oil. Then look at the poor condition of the US major sea ports. How are all those import tankers getting in to unload?

My heavy ferrous metal, low RPM engines are doing just fine and I don't keep fuel in the tank long enough for biological colonization.

Interesting, those guys on the website look about the age I was when we were encouraged to go shoot up Southeast Asia. I wonder how cynical the five of them will be 50 years from now.

I think you need a younger audience.

Bernie

18 hours ago, DrP said:

Personally I'm not interested in getting involved in a crusade to change Federal laws. I don't have time.

However, I would like advice from other members on the best brand of fuel in California to use in my '63 401ci . I have been using Union 76 premium but they can't (won't) tell me how much ethanol is in their blend. Since I live near Laguna Seca race trackI also add about 25% high octane - racing fuel to each tankful at a premium cost of $7-10/ gallon. Further, in Kalifornia where, thanks to unscientific environmentalists laws, we have "special" blends that change with the seasons.

Anyone have any suggestions for brand of fuels in California? 

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

35 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The connivers at the federal level have their plate full trying to keep ethanol alive. The product is proving itself unworthy of funding.

And the "dependence on foreign oil" is a questionable argument when one looks at the problems US cities are having with rail traffic of EXPORT oil. Then look at the poor condition of the US major sea ports. How are all those import tankers getting in to unload?

My heavy ferrous metal, low RPM engines are doing just fine and I don't keep fuel in the tank long enough for biological colonization.

Interesting, those guys on the website look about the age I was when we were encouraged to go shoot up Southeast Asia. I wonder how cynical the five of them will be 50 years from now.

I think you need a younger audience.

Bernie

Thanks for you informative input.

Jayson,

The E body Rivieras you're driving / restoring were designed for the ethanol blends.  You shouldn't have any worries.  It's us older guys who drive the 50 year old cars who are looking for the non-ethanol fuel.  

Sorry my bad,  I was remembering that there was something printed below the gauges those cars of mine like yours.  But now I remember that it said Unleaded Fuel Only; nothing to do with ethanol.  As I said, my bad.

Ed

Well, ethanol fuel can be made fairly easily by us commoners. It is not so hard to convert even an early Riviera over to 100% ethanol car I am told and then you can distill your own fuel. Ethanol should actually clean an engine and avoid having filthy pollution coming out the exhaust. 

We have a bunch of people doing similar actions locally. Cars should have been steam, electric, ethanol, solar, from the beginning but obviously there is mass manipulation. 

Im too lazy at this point, so give me that leaded premium!

My comments are a bit off topic however.

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

My finding has been that ethanol won't hurt your car if you drive it regularly. It's when you let it sit in the carb bowl

for months on end without starting the car and running it that you have problems. I drive all my old cars at least once every three weeks and I've had no problems whatsoever. You have to keep the fuel fresh at all times.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...