Anyone Currently Dealing with Advanced Electrical Rebuilders???

I sent the generator for my 1931 Cadillac  to Advanced Electrical Rebuilders (Jason Smith) of Grand Ledge, MI via UPS  on May 10th. Tracking indicates it was "left at garage" on May 12th. Stupidly I did not request signature confirmation. Since that time, I have called Advanced three times ( the last time was today) and always get a recording. I leave my name and number, along with a message that I am inquiring as to whether he in fact has my generator in hand. So far, no response. I simply want to know that he has my generator and that it is in line for work - not trying to "speed things up." UPS shows the address on his web page as a residence. I "flew " there via google earth and it does appear to be a residence. Nothing wrong with working out of a home shop, but perhaps someone stole my box from "beside the garage." Perhaps he is in the hospital or on vacation and it is still sitting outside. Perhaps he is very busy - I hope so, but he can't be too busy to call or text me and say "yes I have your generator and will get to it as soon as I can." In a post on this forum several years ago where the customer of another business was having a problem, Jason stated that "communication is the key.".........  I agree. If I hear from him, I will be sure to update this topic.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I live about 45 miles from Jason and have visited his shop. Home business and very nice guy. I exchanged a few emails with him last week regarding a bendix unit and it took him a few days to respond. He said between work and home life it has been chaotic recently.

Have you tried emailing? That seems to be his better mode of communication.

Scott

Jason rebuilt my starter, generator and distributor.  They look great, but since I haven't started my car yet I can't attest to their functionality.  Jason is not fast and I have to admit he forgot to send out my distributor so I lost a few days getting it installed, but it sure looks like a top notch job.  I had better luck emailing him.  The finish, plating and new tags on my restored units look better than new.  When I posted pictures of my starter and generator, some folks objected to the polished stainless steel bands he installed as they were originally painted black.  I liked the look, so I'm not going to paint them.

Thanks very much to all who posted.Jason called me this morning and confirmed that he does have my generator, and apologized for not returning my calls. He mentioned health and family issues. I sincerely hope that he has good outcomes with those. He mentioned that it will take another 30 to 60 days which seems reasonable for this type of work.

I will update this topic again when the generator is returned.

• 3 months later...

I received my rebuilt generator from Jason today and am very pleased with the quality of his work. It looks great, and I installed  it and it works well also. I must say that after the initial communication difficulties due to health issues, Jason kept me up to date at regular intervals via text messages. It took 4 1/2 months to get my generator back, but at the end of the day, quality is more important than time or price. In another topic I lamented the length of time it takes to get outside work done. When you find a craftsman like Jason, he's going to be booked up, so get your parts to him early. I would do business with him again.

new generator.JPG

generator.JPG

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I had Jason do a starter for me. I sent it to him and after about 6 months I started to call and email. He did get back to me then, and I finally got the starter back. It is a show piece and looks great. Have not hooked it up yet, but if it works like it looks then I'll be satisfied. I sent him my generator and distributor combination earlier this year. I had to locate a mounting bracket for the distributor to the back of the generator which took me some time, but had one made by 3D printing method. It's been about 7 months now.  I spoke with him several times on the phone prior when he was working on my starter and seems like a real nice guy but I guess he has a lot of work and probably works on the projects when he can. Since it's been about February or March since I sent him my distributor/generator combination I guess I'm going to have to start calling and emailing him.  I think that's the way with a lot of parts restorers, since the field is so limited these days, many work out of the shop in their back yard and just plug away as they can.  The craftsman that do this work are just getting few and far between.  How many auto restorations shops have completed the total restorations on time. Not many I presume.

Edited by Durant Mike (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Did you take it apart after you got it back, or did he provide the pictures ?  Looks like they did nice work.

We have a shop here in Texas who does generators in about a week. I didn't think they were that hard. 

They have done mine for my old Buicks.

I should have explained the photos. The one with the generator disassembled was sent to me by Jason. The other photo was taken by me when the restored generator arrived.

I have had Jason do a couple of units for me and I have been to his garage as he is relatively close. 

I can tell you that he does great work and literally has work running out the door. Just expect some time to get the unit repaired. 

If you are looking for a one week turn around, then probably need to look somewhere else.

He currently has a starter/generator for my '18 Buick.  Not a lot of persons are knowledgeable of these old units.