Decal hacks

PWB

Not that I know of. This decal has been in production since the late 80s. Back then I scrapped off my originals after ordering new ones but BEFORE replacements arrived otherwise I would have masked around them and left intact. I still have one of those originals which were scrapped off for prosperity.

430-4 decal.jpg

Edited by JZRIV
Add pic (see edit history)

The original decals did not age well, with exposure to engine heat, and over time, just did not survive. 

I managed to save some originals - out of 3 cars, and a dozen valve cover decals, I salvaged 1 pair of the embossed originals that were in fairly decent condition. I'm glad I did, because as far as I know, and as Jason has stated, nobody makes an accurate 'blind embossed' facsimile ! Many, many moons ago, I was able to purchase an original NOS 'blind embossed' 430 red air cleaner decal from a Buick dealer at Fall Carlisle, which is now a 'keeper' item.

Guess the additional cost of a steel die to accurately 'blind emboss' the current reproductions must be too expensive?

While the current valve cover decals are not 100% accurate, they are certainly far better than Jason's original, but it would be nice to have some exact reproductions available !

Edited by 68RIVGS
spelling (see edit history)

I doubt it Jason, he and many others have been selling the inaccurate version, or poor reproduction for a some time now.

Even with today's technology, to 'blind emboss' that repro you will need to have a steel die made, (...maybe two, one for the dimples, and the other for the lines), a special press that can accomplish the task accurately, with a minimum of spoilage, plus it's an extra step (...or two), in the process, which means more time and expense. I'm thinking the end result may not justify the additional expense and time involved to produce a 100% accurate facsimile?

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I may have a NOS air cleaner decal for the 1969 Riv.  Buick didn't use the valve cover decal in 69 even though the recessed area on the valve cover was still there.  The decal has the dimples, etc.  I am in the process of moving from NC to CT so allow me a month or so to get settled.  Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

13 hours ago, JZRIV said:

You are correct Randy. Sometimes I forget we drive Rivieras not Camaros. LOL.

The reproduction business for Buick related items is generally not very lucrative.

It's all just part of the price you have to pay for being different Jason !! LOL

2 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

It's all just part of the price you have to pay for being different Jason !! LOL

Aw, come on Randy.  Please don't tell me that I'm not just another jelly bean in the box.  I so much want to be like everyone else.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Aw, come on Randy.  Please don't tell me that I'm not just another jelly bean in the box.  I so much want to be like everyone else.

Then we should all own and drive Commonaros Ed, but that's a little 'off topic' from the original post ! 

Well, Riviera owners seem to be more particular, hence we need a correct damn sticker. There might be less of us, but more willing to get it right IMO and also willing to pay what it takes. So lets get it done Gentlemen. Down to every last sticker!!!