Park does not hold on '51 Roadmaster Rivera

Brad30

My '51 RoadMaster Rivera when sitting in park position does not hold the car. It makes a clicking sound as the car rolls forward or backward. Also the car wants to try and move forward when I rev the engine while it is in park position.  If the car is in park and engine shut down the park position be less than reliable. Nice car otherwise.

All suggestions appreciated.

Edited by Brad30 (see edit history)

Sounds very familiar. Ours has always wanted to 'go' when revved in park. From day one, over 20 years ago.  Park never held, either. 

After spending $2500 on the Dynaflow last month, both symptoms persist. 

Our transmission shop states the 1st condition is normal for a Dynaflow, and the second is a result of wear in the linkages. He said he can adjust it so park holds, but then we would lose reverse.  I'm working on developing an adjustment to compensate for the linkage slop, similar to how we do it on airplanes. I'll let people know how this experiment goes...

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

I agree with Mr. Earl and Old Tank. When I bought my '53 last summer it arrived with the no park problem. After about 10 attempts to readjust the trans linkage with no success, I noticed that the trans thrust pad was broken. Then I saw that the trans mount pad was broken too. An inspection of the motor mounts showed they also were broken. Long story short, with all new mounts and thrust pad and another linkage adjustment, I have park again.    

• Like 2