'67 Turn signal cam from OPGI?!

PWB

So, my '67 turn signal arm does not lock click downward, upward. It does spring return to center.

So I assumed the plastic cam was wore out without opening it up. I trusted OPGI to tell me / sell me the right cam and springs.

This is what they sent and it don't appear like ANYTHING in my column. I do not have cornering lights. Do have tilt.

What do I do now? Any one know the correct part?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by PBouker
Typo (see edit history)

I had the same pro

blem and got the wrong part more than once for my 67 without cornering lights.  My mechanic finally found the right one but they are rare as hen's teeth.  I will check back Monday and see if he still has the source.

Chuck

To my knowledge there is no reproduction turn signal switch that will work in the 67. There are some other outlets advertising a complete switch assembly for the 67 Riviera but they are not correct. The 66 assemblies seem to be a lot more robust but the wiring and electrical switching assembly is totally different where the switching takes place right at the cancelling unit in 67 and switching is remote down the steering column in 66 via a linkage rod. The 67 units are notorious for breaking and some broke very early on in life. The two broken arms will be laying inside. Plastic made thin enough to flex but not strong enough to prevent cracking.

I just saw an NOS one last year at the ROA annual meet but forget who bought it. They show up once in awhile but were rare even 30 years ago. 

The switches with cornering lamp provision had 3 extra wires so a switch designed for cornering lamps will work on a non-cornering lamp car but not vice-versa.

Anyone who still has a functioning turn signal switch in a 67, always let the turn of the steering wheel cancel it. Do not manually return it to center because thats when the most stress is put on the arms.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

JZ you are THE go to for info!  Thank you. I hope Mr. Bloomberg can come up with a fix.

Well, the arms aint broke yet. They are just so whimpy - don't latch on the cam which is still there.

Strange :blink:

P5060743.JPG

P5060744.JPG

Just found the info when mine was replaced.  The source was Parts and Things, phone 714-633-4069,  Part no. 161031936176.  I think he only had one more at the time but perhaps you could google the part number.  I think it may have also fit a Cadillac but the problem was it wasn't the same for all, maybe a mid year change.

Chuck

Well, I wanted to get this this thing installed in one piece. Despite partially tearing down the steering column I couldn't get the housing off.

Service manual states to use this "special tool". There was no way I was getting this huge connector thru the housing without further tear down.

So I cut the switch harness. Soldered and shrink wrapped. All works perfect.

Hung up the super hero cape. :mellow:

Special tool.jpg

turnsignalswitch-detail.jpg

Edited by PBouker (see edit history)

On my '68 I removed all the pins from the lower column connector  - then I was able to pull the flat  ribbon wire down the steering column and re-insert the pins back into the connector at the bottom of the steering column - it also had cornering lamp connections.

No cutting needed, and no special tools, but I did have a parts car for reference, and to practice on.

Just a small flexible 'tang' on each pin secures them in the connector - a narrow flat exacto blade, or small screw driver blade inserted into each connector position will allow you to release the 'tang' on each pin from the connector. Mark each wire per the connector color code diagram to be sure they go back into the correct location on the connector. Most GM wire connector contacts are secured in this fashion, so removal can be accomplished without cutting the wire !

So, aside from the one suggestion above to NEVER manually cancel the turn signal, is there anything that can be done to extend the life of the switch (short of sticking your arm out the window)...?  Will strategically placed dabs of grease on the cancelling arms do any good?