Packard 4 door 110

trini

:mellow:  I am looking for opinions on the weak spots on a 1937 Packard 4 door 110 with an inline 6. A collector friend  here in Ontario told me to stay away from Packard  because spare parts costs are too high. I also checked Wikipedia. The 37, 38 and 39 were made during the recession and as a result the products were cheapened in order to stay in business. Also there is reference to Packard manufacturing flat straight 8 with hydraulic valves. Wikipedia gleans it's information from experts like you. So if you like to be discreet in giving me advice, please email me hsahu8034@gmail.com.  I am looking forward. Thank you and have a nice day

Nothing wrong with a 37 Packard 110. Parts are not terribly expensive. The 110 was the bottom line series, so parts for them are, probably, no more than a Buick or Olds. Packard cheapening during recession years is, more than likely, anecdotal urban myth. Packard always offered a well built car. I might be wrong, but I'm sure that 37s did not have hydraulic lifers

Heck, the Super Eight's didn't have hydraulic lifters, at least my '38 doesn't, so am sure the Junior series Packards didn't have them either.

Packard made a good car, and the Junior series are fine, and as mentioned more fairly compared to other medium priced cars of the day than the true Classics.  I do believe that people new to the hobby think "Packard" and "Full Classic" all in the same

sentence, and I think it's a safe bet that some buyers of a Junior series car have been disappointed when they find they can't participate in Classic Car Club of America events with their car.

One of the nicest driving early cars I've ever been in was a 1937 Packard 120 convertible coupe.  Light, nimble, straight eight with good power, a delight to drive.  They used to be very reasonably priced, now bring pretty good money.

As far as Packard cheapening their cars, that is something of a myth and also slightly true.

Packard was a leading luxury car maker. During the depression expensive luxury cars were not selling and they decided to tool up and build a lower priced, mass produced line of cars. This gave birth to the Packard 120 straight eight model. It was mass produced like a Ford or a Pontiac with less hand work than traditional Packards, but it was a cut above the popular priced makes in having a straight eight engine, better suspension, brakes, better finish, nicer upholstery etc. In other words, a mass produced car that sold at a lower price but still had the Packard quality.

This car proved so popular, they followed up the 120 with the 110. This was basically the 120 with a six cylinder engine and shorter hood.

Many Packard fans prefer the 110 and 120 because they are easier to drive and more practical than the much larger, V12 and straight eight luxury Packards. They are also cheaper to buy and maintain.

Packard did build straight eights with hydraulic valve lifters but that was much later, in the early fifties. And only on the more expensive models. The lower priced models always had solid lifters.

If you are not a deeply involved Packard enthusiast, condition and drivability are most important. You will constantly get people everywhere telling you it's the cheap one that killed Packard. It's usually old men, but a little old lady in a grocery store parking lot might tell you as well.

I have a junior '48 Packard that I have made a commitment to put 1,000 miles on this year. It's an 8 and the equivalent of a Buick Super or Cadillac Model 61. You can feel the quality of the car when driving. It is smooth, handles easily, and has adequate power. Just make sure that every time you walk up to the car you smile and think :That's the one I wanted." and you are good.

That shenanigans with the models has been going on a long time and continues still. Wait until 40 years from now and someone shows up in a nice Buick Lucerne. Someone will say "That's just a Cadillac DTS with a 6 cylinder."

The only thing to be careful about is your personal height. If you are less than 5' 5" tall you could become know as that short Packard guy.

Bernie

Hello Trini

This is the point where you "Ask the man who owns one" or more specifically, the men who own, work on, and have the most honest, unvarnished opinions, to be found on these forums:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/

The subject of the 110/Sixes and 120/Eights as collector cars, their problems and benefits have been discussed many times on each; searching a little should turn up those threads.  While there is some truth to parts for Senior series Eights, Super Eights and Twelves being costly relative to the Junior series 110 and 120, the latter were equally fine quality cars built to a price, much as were comparable Buicks and Chryslers.  If you should purchase that 110, it would be surprising if you found it any more costly to restore and maintain than any other comparable pre-war car.  Good luck, hope you'll choose Packard as your collector car.

Steve