New 1:18 Scale Buick Die-cast Model

68RIVGS

Guest dwhiteside64

That's a very nicely detailed model. I bet they sell out quickly, being such a low mintage...

Darren

I have four of these from Hiway 61's production run.  They are very detailed, or at least as detailed as they can make them for the price they're asking.  Did this ad mention that the antenna goes up and down and that the driveshaft turns when the rear tires turn?  I customized one of them and was able to lower it the same way you'd lower a full sized car - take out the coil springs and cut a coil off of each one.  The seats are "padded" and move to allow access to the rear seat.  The only thing that's not really to scale is the ribbing on the dash panel.  But for what you're paying for these, you can't go wrong.

I had the pleasure of working with the fellows at Hiway 61 when they wanted to make a '63 model.  I took pictures of all the differences and sent them to them but they decided against going into production because they couldn't presell enough orders to the big distribution houses.  Depending on color (I think), the Hiway 61 models came with either the Super Wildcat motor or the single four barrel motor.  Both are very well replicated.   However, if you want to make one to look like yours, it's hard to change color by repainting because of the chrome moldings - they don't come off and they're way too small to try to mask.  I still get a kick out of looking at them on the shelves.

Ed

The Hwy 61 version was made from ROA members in Iowa Riviera. I think there was a story with pictures done in the Riview from when the measurements were taken. From what I understand it was a full day process with LOTS of pictures and measurements taken, AND, they received a case or two of the finished product for their troubles.

The car from which all of the measurements were taken and photographed was Ed and Sherry Pentico's 1964 Diplomat blue with the super wildcat motor. 

Here's one of the models with which I had the most fun.

1964 Rivera born again.jpg

• Like 3

It's a great hobby Ed, and a lot cheaper modifying the die-casts than messing with the full scale versions.

Not to mention all the therapeutic benefits - but I warn you, die-cast cars can become contagious, and are a hazard to your wallet ! 

LONG LONG LONG ago as a young kid in a Buick dealership, I would take colored literature of the cars, I would take a pencil eraser and rub out the door handles, emblems, cut out the tires, push up behind the picture to lower the car, WHAT A BLAST I had as a 11-12 year old.  I got good at rubbing, and would fade the rubs out in different directions to give it a glare affect.

Fun, and cheap,

Dale in Indy

I'm still waiting for a 1:18 2nd generation Riv in any color, with or without vinyl !

Closest they came was a nice 1:18 die-cast by ERTL, or Maisto, of the Oldsmobile Toronado, the boat tail Riviera, and Revell did a limited edition of a '66 or '67 Riviera in 1:24 scale. The first generation '65s have been presented in various scales, by different die-cast manufacturers.

• Like 1

It's an AMT plastic kit and it's 1:25 scale, but it's the same age as the '63 in my garage.  When I was 15 in the fall of 1962, I went to the Buick garage where my dad had worked and saw a new '63 Riviera - Spruce green with silver leather - in the back under a tarp waiting for the '63 reveal night.  I told by dad that I "had to have one, just think of the chicks that I could pick up with a car like that."  He laughed.  On my 16th birthday in February of the following year, my parents told be that because I was making good grades and hadn't gotten into any serious trouble at school, they bought me a '63 Riviera and "it's in the garage."  I ran to the garage only to find the AMT model sitting in the middle of the garage floor.  I painted it the same colors as the one I'd seen under the tarp.  So in 2016, that model celebrated its 53rd year with me.  Other than my Boy Scout pocket knife, it's probably the oldest thing that I have that was originally mine.  It's since been repainted black with white interior to match the real one that's now in the garage.

Thanks for the indulgence,

Ed

• Like 1