OPEN OR CLOSED HOOD QUESTION

Rooney3100

12 hours ago, padgett said:

Finally I just got tired of picking apart nice cars. Once even had a contest to see if anyone could tell how many things were "wrong" with my personal car. Haven't judged this century. Do find the auctions on TV hilarious.

My cars get parked in public a lot and there is absolutely NO shortage of unofficial judges. So don't worry about leaving a vacuum.

I have to laugh sometimes. A person will point something out and I wonder if they just like feeling their warm wind across their teeth. If they only knew what I know about my car. Oh, that reminds me, I better get out to the Garage and wire up the Packard taillights. The replated bezels have been admired by a few. Since this is the third year I guess hooking up the wires and putting some bulbs in is due. You can't drive just in the daytime and use hand signals forever....... well....... maybe I should connect the wiper arms on the Riviera. They have been disconnected since 1994. That Rainex is good stuff.

Bernie

17 hours ago, padgett said:

...Finally I just got tired of picking apart nice cars.... 

I tend to agree, Padgett.  AACA is a historical society of sorts,

so judging can be helpful in assessing condition and authenticity;

but unless a car owner asks for opinions, we shouldn't be criticizing his show car!

The hobby is FAR more enjoyable if people think beyond trophies

and spending thousands of dollars to upgrade for a few extra judging points.

Invite your neighbors and their kids for a ride and stop for ice cream.  

They may remember your #3 condition sedan as the highlight of their summer. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Agree shows should be fun. Besides it would take me several hours and some research to do a proper assessment of even a car I knew well. A show field in not the place for that. Just things like when did Delco-Packard switch from embossed logos to silk screen or what month did GTO speedos change from 140 to 120 is not trivia and some changes were not only slipstreamed but depended on when a particular assembly plant ran out of the originals.

Another fun one is what part number appears in the parts book depends on what month the book was published and may not match what was installed on the assembly line anyway, may need the factory assembly book for that.

corvairassymanual.jpg

I have not read all the replies to this post and do not know what the consensus is on the topic.  Nor do I know that it matters that I do not, as I shall continue my way of doing things.  That is  hood CLOSED.   While my engine bay is tidy, it is not spotless.  Nor is there a whole lot of obvious muscle there for folks to view in awe. It is a stock Oldsmobile 394 c.i. V-8.

I like the looks of my ride.  To me those looks are best displayed with the hood closed  and the top down!

2007 6.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:17 PM, padgett said:

Agree shows should be fun. Besides it would take me several hours and some research to do a proper assessment of even a car I knew well. A show field in not the place for that. Just things like when did Delco-Packard switch from embossed logos to silk screen or what month did GTO speedos change from 140 to 120 is not trivia and some changes were not only slipstreamed but depended on when a particular assembly plant ran out of the originals.

Another fun one is what part number appears in the parts book depends on what month the book was published and may not match what was installed on the assembly line anyway, may need the factory assembly book for that.

corvairassymanual.jpg

What do you do when the factory throws you a curveball ? My 69 LeMans 355 H-O came from the factory with a 140 mph speedo. Many Pontiac people say I put a G/P speedo head in there. I say no I ordered the car and that's what it came with. I do know the G/P has the same cluster. One of my friends did the PDI at the dealer I ordered the car from. I suppose he could have played a mickey finn on me, but I think not.