Pics of some hard to find options for first gen riv

offdensen

So I decided to buy a 1963 riviera about 2 months ago and have been having a blast so far with it but I found a website that has a list of all the options that were available and began to look for things I didn't have, but also realized that they are really hard to find and aren't quite sure what I should be looking for. An example of this is the tissue dispenser and when I try to google it I get so many things I'm just not sure which to actually look for. The same can be said for the compass, tachometer, and the litter container. 

This is the site with the options list:

http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/riviera1963optionalequipment.html

So, does anyone have any of these in your first gen riv that you could post onto here? It would be appreciated and I'm really interested in seeing what these things look like. 

So I decided to buy a 1963 riviera about 2 months ago and have been having a blast so far with it but I found a website that has a list of all the options that were available and began to look for things I didn't have, but also realized that they are really hard to find and aren't quite sure what I should be looking for. An example of this is the tissue dispenser and when I try to google it I get so many things I'm just not sure which to actually look for. The same can be said for the compass, tachometer, and the litter container. 

This is the site with the options list:

http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/riviera1963optionalequipment.html

So, does anyone have any of these in your first gen riv that you could post onto here? It would be appreciated and I'm really interested in seeing what these things look like. 

This is the correct compass for the `63 model....VERY rare. I have only seen 2 NOS versions in 35 years of hawking Buick and specifically Riviera parts. Ebay item # 181981728224

Tom Mooney

Is there a set place for some of these things the dealership would had put them or is it just where the driver would prefer to have it? I found this picture of the compass:(Edit: picture isn't working for one reason or another)

and seeing it placed to the left of the speedometer makes me wonder if it would go somewhere else if you had A/C? Since that is where the vent would have gone. 

This could also be said for the tachometer as well; if it goes on the dash or in the center console? Like in this picture:

post-93305-0-95906600-1449933955.jpg

Putting the tachometer on the dash seems like it would only go there if you don't have the sentinel 

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

Well, the things you learn. When I took possession of my 63 one of the first things I did was notice the compass in the middle of the dashboard. Didn't know it was a genuine Buick accessory until now.

Happy to put it up for sale as it includes the mounting bracket and screw. There is provision for a lighting socket if you wanted to install it. Fair condition and even works " down under"

post-155932-0-73924000-1458073870_thumb.

post-155932-0-28821200-1458073888_thumb.

post-155932-0-37378500-1458073909_thumb.

The console has a section that can be cut away to install a tachometer. There are some posts that Ed did some time back showing the back of the console. He might chime in here too! When you remove the front ashtray, you can feel the circular area to be cut. Good luck finding a tachometer.

Really great to know what I'm looking for now as far as tach and compass goes. And thanks for the heads up with the hole in the center console, I moved the ash tray and felt it with my fingers.

Also for anyone looking there is a tachometer on ebay for a pretty penny.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Buick-6-000-RPM-Tachometer-Chrome-V-8-Rat-Rod-Hot-Rod-Factory-Gauge-/121924800965?hash=item1c6348d1c5:g:2LQAAOSwoudW5v4o&vxp=mtr

Is that the right one? Was thinking of visiting some parts cars in scrap yards in my area, knowing what I'm looking for is always helpful and making sure its not a aftermarket one. 

I see on the ROA page for options a "Salesman's Desk" is listed, could anyone enlighten me as to what that is or where it goes? Or have a picture of it? 

ROA page:   http://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/colortrim/options.html

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

Tom,

I've attached a pict of 64 chassis and bosy parts book, no 4747 listed for tissue dispenser.

attachicon.gifDSC_4858.JPG

Hi Larry, All,

Attached are pages from the `63 and `65 Buick parts books. The `63 book describes the accessory tissue dispenser as "4700 less A.C." and the `65 book describes the application as "All exc. special and Riviera w/a.c."...I suspect Buick made a mistake in the `64 book as all three years are basically identical as it applies to the tissue dispenser.

Tom Mooney

post-93333-0-82844300-1458304306_thumb.j

post-93333-0-02123800-1458304322_thumb.j

My only comment to the first post is that there are too many mistakes on that website for it to be taken seriously. 

On the '63 page, you'll notice that there is no wood grain in that panel on the door and the escutcheon on the remote mirror joy stick is missing.  On the '65 page,  you'll notice that they show a picture of a '64 cast aluminum wheel cover and call it a '65 chrome wheel. 

Take a look at option code N4 on this link for all 1963 full sized models 

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=63_options_regular

You'll notice that there's no "X" in the 4747 column for it to be an option and if you read 'Note I' you'll see that the tissue dispenser was not available on cars with bucket seats.  But that's not saying that a dealer wouldn't do something to please a customer.  Then again, I don't know where this information came from either.